1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rate Bungee Problem Question

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bungee jumper has reached a point in her exciting plunge where the taut cord is 100 feet long with a 1/2 inch radius and stretching. She is still 80 feet above the ground and is now falling at 40 feet per second. You are observing her jump from a spot on the ground 60 feet from the potential point of impact.

- From your observation point, at what rate is the angle of elevation to the jumper changing?

So, without a diagram, x=60, y= 80 and you have to solve for dΘ/dt. So the hypotenuse value would be 100 at this moment.

My Question: I understand mostly the implicit differentiation, but Why when I solve for dΘ/dt, i need to use the 100 feet for hypotenuse? Isn't the hypotenuse changing?

3. The attempt at a solution

My equation for this question is sinΘ=y/100 . But why do I use 100 if it is changing?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You shouldn't use the 100 for the equation. You have x = 60 (constant), y is variable, and the hypotenuse h = sqrt(y2+ 602). So as y varies, h varies as you have observed. So your equation that you differentiate with respect to time should be:

[tex]y = h\sin{\theta} = \sqrt{y^2 + 60^2}\ \sin\theta[/tex]

Differentiate that for the related rate equation and put your "snapshot values" in the resulting related rates equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook