• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Trig Substitution (?) Integral

• Thread starter rty640
  • Start date

Homework Statement

j8m7mg.jpg

The answer is:

v2se1u.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried trig substitution, letting x =[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) and using the identity 1+tan[tex]^{2}[/tex]=sec[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex]), but couldn't get to the answer.

Thanks for the help.

Answers and Replies

Show us what you did, and we can set you straight. That looks like the right substitution.

Now undo your first substitution, which was x = sqrt(2)tan(theta). It will be helpful to draw a right triangle (I didn't see one in your work). The acute angle is theta. The opp. side is x, the adj. side is sqrt(2), and the hypotenuse is sqrt(x^2 + 2). Convert your secant terms back to terms involving x, and see if that gets you to your answer.

Your work looks pretty good - I didn't see anything obviously wrong, but I just scanned it quickly, so might have missed something. When you get your final answer, check it by differentiating it - you should get 11x^3/sqrt(x^2 + 2).

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You forgot to cube the root 2 in the denominator of the second term in the square brackets.

You're also off by a sign. You flipped the sign when you went from tan to sec when integrating.

I got it now, thanks a lot.