1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Substitution (?) Integral

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

j8m7mg.jpg

The answer is:

v2se1u.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried trig substitution, letting x =[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) and using the identity 1+tan[tex]^{2}[/tex]=sec[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex]), but couldn't get to the answer.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Show us what you did, and we can set you straight. That looks like the right substitution.

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
  5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Now undo your first substitution, which was x = sqrt(2)tan(theta). It will be helpful to draw a right triangle (I didn't see one in your work). The acute angle is theta. The opp. side is x, the adj. side is sqrt(2), and the hypotenuse is sqrt(x^2 + 2). Convert your secant terms back to terms involving x, and see if that gets you to your answer.

Your work looks pretty good - I didn't see anything obviously wrong, but I just scanned it quickly, so might have missed something. When you get your final answer, check it by differentiating it - you should get 11x^3/sqrt(x^2 + 2).

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5
  7. Feb 4, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You forgot to cube the root 2 in the denominator of the second term in the square brackets.

You're also off by a sign. You flipped the sign when you went from tan to sec when integrating.

8. Feb 4, 2010 #7
    I got it now, thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook