Constant of Integration in Trigonometric Substitution?

In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometric substitution integration problem where the person is stuck on expressing theta in terms of x. They have drawn a triangle and have equations for the sides of the triangle. However, they are having trouble with the constant of integration and are unsure if they are correctly integrating the equation. The expert summarizer suggests adding the common denominator and not pushing the square root outside the ln expression.
tree.lee

Homework Statement

So, I have a trigonometric substitution integration problem. The working is rather hairy, but I've gotten to the point where you draw the triangle to express theta in terms of x. But that's where I'm stuck! I think I may be having trouble with the constant of integration, but I'm not sure!

Homework Equations

So...for the sides of the triangle I have:
Opposite: √[(x+½)2 - ¾]
Hypotenuse: x+½
Adjacent: √(¾)

My equation is tanθ-[½(ln|secθ+tanθ|)] and I want to express it in terms of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just plug it in, Opposite/Adjacent and Hypotenuse/Adjacent but I'm getting it wrong.

I get √[(x+½)2 - ¾] / √¾ - ½ln|x + ½ + √[(x+½)2-¾]| / √(¾)
Which equals √(x2+x+1)/√¾ - ½ln|x+½+√(x2+x+1) + C

But it doesn't, the answer given is √(x2+x+1) - ½ln|x+½+√(x2+x+1), as in the only difference is the denominator for the first term. But I don't understand how it could be integrated into the integration constant, it's not a constant, it's dividing the variable x, no? Or is something else entirely wrong with it!?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
tree.lee said:
My equation is tanθ-[½(ln|secθ+tanθ|)] and I want to express it in terms of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just plug it in, Opposite/Adjacent and Hypotenuse/Adjacent but I'm getting it wrong.

I get √[(x+½)2 - ¾] / √¾ - ½ln|x + ½ + √[(x+½)2-¾]| / √(¾)
Your own expressions give Hypotenuse/Adjacent = (x + ½)/√(¾) and Opposite/Adjacent = √[(x+½)2 - ¾]/√(¾). Common denominator, so add them. But - you have simply pushed √(¾) outside the ln(| |) expression, which you are not allowed to do.

Svein said:
Your own expressions give Hypotenuse/Adjacent = (x + ½)/√(¾) and Opposite/Adjacent = √[(x+½)2 - ¾]/√(¾). Common denominator, so add them. But - you have simply pushed √(¾) outside the ln(| |) expression, which you are not allowed to do.

Oh. I was taught that I could do ½ln|x + ½ + √[(x+½)2-¾]| - ln√(¾) so that C1 = ln√(¾) + C. Is that wrong? Oh, and it's also the first term that I"m having denominator troubles with. The tanθ! I believe I did add the secθ and tanθ with common denominators within the ln expression, as you said.

tree.lee said:
½ln|x + ½ + √[(x+½)2-¾]| - ln√(¾)
Yes. But that is not what you wrote in your original post. And, by the way, don't forget the ½ when you move ln√(¾) outside.

What is the Constant of Integration?

The Constant of Integration is a term used in calculus and mathematical analysis to represent the arbitrary constant that appears in an indefinite integral or a differential equation. It is also known as the integration constant.

Why is the Constant of Integration important?

The Constant of Integration is important because it accounts for any unknown factors or initial conditions in a problem that cannot be determined by the given information. It allows for a more general solution to a problem rather than a specific one.

How is the Constant of Integration determined?

The Constant of Integration is determined by using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an indefinite integral is equal to the original function. By solving for the indefinite integral and taking the derivative, the Constant of Integration can be found.

Can the Constant of Integration have different values?

Yes, the Constant of Integration can have different values depending on the problem and the given information. It is a constant, so it remains unchanged throughout the problem, but its specific value can vary.

What happens if the Constant of Integration is not included?

If the Constant of Integration is not included in a solution, it means that the solution is incomplete and does not account for all possible solutions. The Constant of Integration is necessary for a complete and accurate solution to a problem.