1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integral & cylindrical coordinates

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When you are doing a triple integral and convert it to cylindrical co ordinates, how do you find the new ranges of integration?

I understand the new range of z, if z is between f(x,y) and g(x,y), you just sub in
    x = r cos θ and y = r sin θ to find the new functions. But how do I find the range for r and θ? I'm lost there.

Here is a question i was working on and the solution is a bit confusing.

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the paraboloid z = 4x^2 +y^2 and the cylinder
    y^2 + z = 2.

So the solution, they replace x = r cos θ / root 2 and y = r sin θ. I'm confused why not just use x = r cos θ? and the range for r is from 0 to 1 and for θ its between 0 and 2pi.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show, or explain completely, the triple integral which is given as the solution?

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    Here is the portion of the solution where they derive the integral.

Gtca7.png

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Find the equation x and y satisfy where the two surfaces intersect. From that, you might be able to see why x was rescaled the way it was in the solution.

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why does their solution "replace x = r cos θ / root 2 and y = r sin θ" ?

It's as if they first rescale x: Letting x' = (√2)x. Note: x' is not a derivative.

Then x' = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ) .

The reason they did this is explained in vela's post.

7. Dec 15, 2011 #6
    Thanks.

So its 4x^2 + 2y^2 < 2

But I still don't understand? How would you know to rescale it by multiplying it by 1/sqrt 2?
    What does this rescaling do? I'm still a bit lost.

And how do I find the ranges for r and theta?
    Does θ vary based on the quadrant or what?

8. Dec 15, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you identify what geometric figure the equation 4x2 + 2y2 = 2 describes?

Suppose x' = (√2)x, i.e. x = x'/√2 . Substitute that into this equation. What figure is now described by the result?

9. Dec 15, 2011 #8
    It's a circle with r = 1, which I guess is how you get the range of r; with that substitution rather than an ellipse. I wasn't aware you are allowed to just make arbitrary substitutions like that to change the shape.

10. Dec 16, 2011 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Jacobian takes makes up for the distortion that would be caused by the change of coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook