1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral of minimum value

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is to take the triple integral over B of min{x,y,z}dV where B = {x,y,z}: o<x<1 , 0<y<1, and 0<z<1. (These are all less than or equal to, I didn't know the notation).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was break it up into three cases; where x is the minimum, y is the minimum, and where z is the minimum. I got a value of 1/4 for all three of these, so that leads me to believe the answer for the triple integral is 1/4. Is this correct thinking
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello BioMan789. Welcome to PF.

It would help greatly if you could show just what it was that you integrated. I suspect that you have miisunderstood the meaning of the function, min(x, y, z) .

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    In between my original post and your response I realized I was integrating incorrectly. I was integrating from 0 to x, 0 to y, 0 to z for each integral instead of 1 to x, 1 to y, 1 to z (see below for clarification). This is what I was integrating.

∫∫∫ x dydzdx (first integral is from x to 1, second is also from x to 1, final is from 0 to 1).
    ∫∫∫ y dxdzdy (first integral is from y to 1, second is also from y to 1, final is from 0 to 1).
    ∫∫∫ z dxdydz (first integral is from z to 1, second is also from z to 1, final is from 0 to 1).

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4
    When I worked these integrals out I got 1/12

6. Dec 5, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure those integrals won't give the correct result.

I've been trying to wrap my head around this for a while. Visualizing this has been a challenge.

[itex]\displaystyle f(x,\,y,\,z)=\min(x,\,y,\,z)=\left\{\matrix{
    x\,,\ \ \text{ if }\ x\le y\ \ \text{ and }\ \ x\le z\\
    y\,,\ \ \text{ if }\ y\le x\ \ \text{ and }\ \ y\le z\\
    z\,,\ \ \text{ if }\ z\le x\ \ \text{ and }\ \ z\le y}\right.[/itex]

My suggestion is to write f(x, y, z) as the sum of three functions, fx(x, y, z) + fy(x, y, z) + fz(x, y, z), where
    fx(x, y, z) = x when x is the minimum, otherwise it equals zero.

fy(x, y, z) = y when y is the minimum, otherwise it equals zero.

fz(x, y, z) = z when z is the minimum, otherwise it equals zero.​

Then integrate all three functions over the entire cube. But since each is zero over 2/3 of the cube, simply integrate each over the region for which it's not zero. Considering symmetry, each of those integrals will give the same result.
    For example, integrate y first for x going from y to 1, then for z going from y to 1, then for y going from 0 to 1.​

[STRIKE]Added in Edit:
    I struck part of the line above after looking at the figure in jackmell's post. That line should read:
    For example, integrate y first for x going from y to 1, then for z going from 0 to y, then for y going from 0 to 1.​
    [/STRIKE]
    Added in 2nd Edit:
    After further consideration, I withdraw the 1st Edit. and restore the post as it was first written. (This does not imply that jackmell's post was wrong -- only that I misinterpreted his figure.)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. Dec 5, 2011 #6
    I think it's gonna be six integrals over tetrahedrons. Here's a picture of three of them. Got the blue, red and yellow there and then three more behind them I'm not showing. So for example, we have:

[tex]\mathop\iiint\limits_{\text{Red}} \text{min(x,y,z)}dV=\int_0^1\int_0^x\int_y^x y\;dzdydx[/tex]

Ok, Bioman, you try and do the other five or at least do the yellow one or maybe the blue one would be easier to do first.

Attached Files:

8. Dec 6, 2011 #7
    I got those figures by first segregating the cube along diagonal planes shown below. Also, I don't think my wonderful drawings would help when we go to 4D and beyond as in the general problem that was posted a few days ago:

[tex]\int\cdots\int \text{min}(x_1,\cdots,x_n)dx_1\cdots dx_n[/tex]

The link is:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=555766

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook