1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integral to find the volume

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

use a triple integral to find the volume of the region that is common to the interiors of z^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 1 and x^2 + z^2 = 1

2. Relevant equations

Would I just calculate the are of the disc? I set up a triple integral as inte [0 to 1] 2nd inte [0 to sqrt(1-z^2)] 3rd inte [0 to 0] dy dx dz
    That doesnt really work though since after the first integration it would just be 0 (??)
    How would you set up this triple integral? (I might just not be understanding what the region is??)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

This isn't a double integral, so the region of integration isn't a disk or other two-dimensional object. The region of integration is the three-dimensional space that is "common to the interiors of z^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 1 and x^2 + z^2 = 1."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook