1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a Pond (Triple Integral)

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular pond with radius 1 metre and a maximum depth of 1 metre has the shape of a paraboloid, so that its depth z is z = x 2 + y 2 − 1. What is the total volume of the pond? How does this compare with the case where the pond has the same radius but has the shape of a hemisphere?

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    \int _{-1}^0\left(\int _{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\left(\int _{x^2+y^2-1}^0\left(\right)dz\right)dy\right)dx

I was just wondering if this triple integral accurately describes what the question is asking? I searched online but can't find any anything similar.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now (with the ##\$\$## around the ##\TeX##) it looks OK. You can see the bounds sitting there properly.

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't seem to work. If you want to integrate in Cartesian variables, you should identify the correct limits for each variable. I suggest that you work in cylindrical coordinate instead, because in this case there is only one variable whose integration limits are a function of the other two variables.

5. Apr 1, 2016 #4
    So in cylindrical coordinates if we integrate in the order z,r,θ
    would the limits be r-1 to 0,-r to r and 0 to 2*pi?

EDIT
    or should it be r-1 to 0,0 to r and 0 to 2*pi?

6. Apr 1, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Neither. z is not r-1 to 0 (that would be a cone)

(PS post #2 only said something about the look of things...., not the solubility)

7. Apr 1, 2016 #6
    is it r^2 -1 to 0 ,0 to r and 0 to 2*pi?

8. Apr 1, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For your purpose, it will be helpful to think of the pond as being made of a stack of infinitesimally thick disks put on top of another in z direction such that they form a paraboloidal volume. Now consider a disk located at a fixed plane ##z##. The thickness of this disk is ##dz##. For the area of this disk, how will you calculate it using the integral in polar coordinate ##r##, ##\theta##? To do this, first you need to express the radius of this disk as a function of ##z##.

9. Apr 1, 2016 #8
    Thanks guys,
    I realized in my original integral x should have been from -1 to 1 and not 0 to 1. also in polar coordinates if I use is it r^2 -1 to 0 ,0 to 1 and 0 to 2*pi, I get the same answer of (1/2)*pi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted