Triple integral with cylindrical coordinates

In summary, MaterWu77 tried to solve a problem involving integrating a function in cylindrical coordinates, but was not able to do so due to lack of understanding of the problem and its limits of integration. He was then helped by another user, who was able to provide the limits of integration and explain the process of integrating the function in cylindrical coordinates.
MasterWu77

Homework Statement

Use cylindrical coordinates to evaluate the triple integral

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] dV in region E

where E is the solid bounded by the circular paraboloid z=9-(x^2+y^2) and the xy-plane.

Homework Equations

knowing that x = rcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
y= rsin[tex]\theta[/tex]
z=z
for a coordinates in clindrical

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to get the bounds of integration for this problem. I know it has something to do with the paraboloid given but I am not very good at drawing such a figure. I do understand that you need to change the x and y into xcos and ysin in order to integral the problem. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hey MaterWu77, start by transforming your integrand and bounding surface into cylindircal coordinates, things should simplify a fair bit

Another relevant equation, and one you didn't show, is r2 = x2 + y2.

In cylindrical coordinates, dV can be represented as dz r dr d[itex]\theta[/itex]. Take note of that factor of r.

You region E is such that 0 <= z <= 9 - (x2 + y2), 0 <= r <= 3, and 0 <= [itex]\theta[/itex] <= [itex]2\pi[/itex].

The resulting integral in cylindrical form looks like this. The question marks are placeholders that you need to fill in.

[tex]\int_{\theta = ?}^{?} \int_{r = ?}^? \int_{z = 0}^? ?~dz~r~dr~d\theta[/tex]

Because of the symmetry of your integrand and the region E, you can integrate the part in the first quadrant and multiply your result by 4.

ok i understand how to get the bounds of integration. would the function that i am integrating be r^2 which would come from the [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] ?

No, it would be sqrt(r^2), which is just r for your region. There is also the r in dz r dr d(theta). Wasn't sure if you were including that one as well.

yes i was including the r from the dz r dr d(theta) to get the r^2

So this is what you have:
[tex]\int_{\theta = ?}^{?} \int_{r = ?}^? \int_{z = 0}^? r^2~dz~dr~d\theta[/tex]
Do you have the limits of integration worked out?

yes i do! and i have the rest of the problem worked out so thanks a lot for helping me out!

1. What is a triple integral with cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integral with cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating over a region in three-dimensional space using cylindrical coordinates, which consist of a radius, angle, and height.

2. How do you convert a triple integral from rectangular coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert a triple integral from rectangular coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), you can use the following formulas:

r = √(x² + y²), θ = arctan(y/x), z = z

3. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral?

One of the main advantages of using cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral is that it simplifies the integration process. This is especially true for objects with cylindrical symmetry, as the boundaries of the integration become easier to define.

4. What are the limitations of using cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral?

One limitation of using cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral is that it is not suitable for all types of three-dimensional objects. For example, if an object has irregular boundaries or does not have cylindrical symmetry, it may be more difficult to set up the integral using cylindrical coordinates.

5. How do you evaluate a triple integral with cylindrical coordinates?

To evaluate a triple integral with cylindrical coordinates, you first need to define the limits of integration for each variable (r, θ, z). Then, you can use the appropriate integration rules and techniques to solve the integral. This may involve converting the integral back to rectangular coordinates, depending on the complexity of the problem.