Triple integration over portion of Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spherical Jacobean and cylindrical coordinates for integration, with one user obtaining the answer π(e+3)/64 using spherical coordinates. The other user suggests using integration by parts and states that using a different upper bound will result in a different answer.
nysnacc

Homework Statement

upload_2016-10-3_19-5-13.png

Homework Equations

spherical Jacobean

The Attempt at a Solution

I have (sorry, have to capture my work, too hard to type)
upload_2016-10-3_19-6-20.png

then the integration of p3 ep2 = 1/2 ep2 (p2-3/2) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer I got using cylindrical was eπ/8,
but here, using the spherical, I got π(e+3)/64

nysnacc said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 106917

Homework Equations

spherical Jacobean

The Attempt at a Solution

I have (sorry, have to capture my work, too hard to type)
View attachment 106918

Your material is NOT too hard to type; you just need to learn how to use LaTeX. That does take some effort, though.

then the integration of p3 ep2 = 1/2 ep2 (p2-3/2) ??

No. You can check that for yourself, by showing that the derivative is not ##r^3 \exp(r^2)##.

Do integration by parts.

BTW: I get ##\pi/8## using spherical coordinates.

π/8 not πe/8 ?

nysnacc said:
π/8 not πe/8 ?

I wrote exactly what I meant.

If you had a different upper bound of ##r = a## instead of ##r = 1## you would, indeed, get an exponential in the answer.

1. What is triple integration over a portion of a sphere?

Triple integration over a portion of a sphere is a mathematical technique used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape that is a portion of a sphere. It involves integrating a function over three variables, typically x, y, and z, to determine the volume of the shape.

2. How is the triple integral set up for a portion of a sphere?

The triple integral for a portion of a sphere is typically set up in spherical coordinates, where the three variables are r, θ, and φ. The limits of integration for each variable are determined based on the boundaries of the shape being integrated over.

3. What is the formula for calculating the triple integral over a portion of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the triple integral over a portion of a sphere is ∭f(r, θ, φ) r² sin φ dr dθ dφ, where f(r, θ, φ) is the function being integrated and the limits of integration are determined based on the boundaries of the shape.

4. What are some real-world applications of triple integration over a portion of a sphere?

Triple integration over a portion of a sphere has many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of objects such as water tanks, spherical containers, and even planets. It is also used in physics and engineering for calculating the moment of inertia and center of mass for spherical objects.

5. What are some challenges in performing triple integration over a portion of a sphere?

One of the main challenges in performing triple integration over a portion of a sphere is setting up the correct limits of integration. Since the shape is a portion of a sphere, the boundaries can be complex and require careful analysis to determine the correct limits. Additionally, the triple integral can become very complicated and difficult to solve for more complex shapes, requiring advanced mathematical techniques and computing power.