Triplet states in quantum dots

In summary, the existence of triplet states in polymers is mentioned, but not in quantum dots. This is because the carriers in QDs are usually excitons composed of electrons and heavy holes, while in doped QDs you can also have negatively charged excitons or trions. These complex exciton states can include triplet states, but they generally lie at higher energies and do not affect the more dominant singlet states. Colloidal QDs may have a different situation with more complicated exciton complexes.
McKendrigo
Hi there,

I have a passing interaction with quantum dots and light emitting polymers as part of my research. I've been reading up on the physics of qdots and polymers recently. One thing that strikes me is that the existence of triplet states in polymers is mentioned, but not in quantum dots (at least, not as far as I'm aware).

Do triplet states exist in quantum dots? If not, why not? If so, why have I not seen anything about them yet? (are they only apparent under special circumstances, for example?)

I'm wondering if the carriers in the relatively small polymer molecules are more closely bound, whereas the carriers in the qdots are more free, which somehow mitigates carriers from falling into triplet states?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the kind of QD you are interested in. Usually the carriers are excitons, bound electron-hole pairs. In semiconductor QDs you usually have them composed mostly out of electrons ([tex]S_z=\pm \frac{1}{2}[/tex]) and heavy holes ([tex]J_z=\pm\frac{3}{2}[/tex]) (although they are never pure heavy holes in self-assembled QDs), so you get 4 possible exciton levels with angular momentum projections of [tex]M=\pm 1[/tex] and [tex]M=\pm 2[/tex], the so-called bright and dark excitons. Due to conservation rules, only the bright ones with [tex]M=\pm 1[/tex] couple to the em field.

If you consider doped QDs, you instead get negatively charged excitons or trions formed by 2 electrons and 1 hole for example. Here you get 8 states. Two of them are singlets with [tex]M=\pm \frac{3}{2}[/tex]. The other six are triplet states. But as they require require an electron in a higher energy spatially confined state in the QD, they usually lie at much higher energies compared to the singlets and do not affect them. Going to more complicated exciton complexes, you will of course also get more complicated states.

For colloidal QDs the situation is, however, a bit different.

1. What are triplet states in quantum dots?

Triplet states in quantum dots refer to the electronic states in which the electrons within the quantum dot have their spins aligned in the same direction. This results in a total spin value of 1, hence the name "triplet".

2. How are triplet states created in quantum dots?

Triplet states can be created in quantum dots through a process called spin-flip scattering, in which an electron interacts with the surrounding environment and changes its spin direction. This can also occur through the use of magnetic fields or optical excitation.

3. What is the significance of triplet states in quantum dots?

Triplet states play a crucial role in the functionality of quantum dots, as they are involved in processes such as energy transfer and spin manipulation. They also have potential applications in quantum information processing and quantum computing.

4. How does the size of a quantum dot affect its triplet states?

The size of a quantum dot can greatly influence its triplet states. As the size decreases, the energy levels within the dot become more closely spaced, leading to a higher likelihood of triplet states being formed. Additionally, the shape of the quantum dot can also affect the spin properties of its triplet states.

5. Can triplet states in quantum dots be controlled?

Yes, researchers have been able to manipulate and control the properties of triplet states in quantum dots through various techniques such as optical excitation, electrical gating, and magnetic fields. This allows for the tuning of their energy levels and spin properties, making them promising candidates for use in quantum information processing and other applications.