Is there always a straight line bisecting a finite set of points on a plane?

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, to show that there is always a straight line bisecting a finite set of points on a plane, you can consider the set of all lines passing through at least two points in the set and then use the fact that this set is finite to show that there exists a point below and to the left of all the points in the set. By rotating a line slowly through this point and keeping track of how many times it "hits" a point in the set, you can show that there is a point at which the line has "hit" exactly half of the points. This point corresponds to the desired bisecting line.
Dragonfall
How do you show that there is always a straight line bisecting a finite set of points on a plane?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'll bite:

Let the set of points be S, let |S| = n, and suppose S is contained in some box B = [-a, a] X [-a, a] (S is finite, after all). Consider the set L of all lines that pass through at least 2 points in S. Then L is finite, so the set T consisting of all points p such that (1) for all lines l in L, p is not on l is nonempty, and (2) p is below and to the left of B (that is, [tex] p \in (-\infty, -a] \times (-\infty, -a] [/tex] ) is nonempty. Choose some p in T, and center a polar coordinate system at p, with polar axis parallel to the x-axis. For all q in S, define [tex] \theta(q) [/tex] as the modulus of q, considered as a point in this polar coordinate system (note that by the way we defined p, we always have [tex] \displaystyle 0 \leq \theta(q) \leq \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]). Define a discrete mapping [tex]\displaystyle f : \left[0, \frac{\pi}{2} \right] \to \mathbb{N} [/tex] by [tex] f(t) = | \{ q \in S \; : \; \theta(q) \leq t \} | [/tex]. By the way we defined p, for all [tex] m \leq n [/tex], there exists some [tex] t_m [/tex] such that [tex] f(t_m) = n [/tex]. Furthermore, we can consider the smallest such [tex] t_m [/tex]; write this as [tex] \tilde{t}_m [/tex]. If n is odd, then the line through p of slope
[tex] \displaystyle \tan(\tilde{t}_{\frac{1}{2} (n+1)}) [/tex]
does the trick; if n is even, then the line through p of slope
[tex] \displaystyle \tan(t_{\frac{1}{2} n}) [/tex],
where [tex] t_{\frac{1}{2} n} \neq \tilde{t}_{\frac{1}{2} n} [/tex], suffices.

VKint said:
(1) for all lines l in L, p is not on l is nonempty

I'm not sure what this means.

This can't be the easiest way to prove this. I can't figure out how to prove this. It's like a gap in my math education.

I'm not sure what this means.

Yeah, that sentence should have read:

"Then L is finite, so the set T consisting of all points p such that (1) for all lines l in L, p is not on l, and (2) p is below and to the left of B (that is, [tex] p \in (-\infty, -a] \times (-\infty, -a] [/tex] ) is nonempty." In other words,
[tex] \{p \; : \; \ell \in L \Rightarrow p \notin \ell \; \textrm{and} \; p \in (-\infty, -a] \times (-\infty, -a] \} \neq \emptyset [/tex].

It's actually a very easy proof; my post above just got a bit bogged down in formalism. The idea is that you select a point p far to the left and below all your points (again, call the set of all your points S), such that no line runs through p and any two points in S, and imagine rotating a line slowly through p. You then keep track of how many times the line has "hit" a point in S. The crucial idea is that you can arrange things so that this count always increases by just one at a time (this is why we chose p so that it's not collinear with any two points in S). Furthermore, at some point, the line has "hit" all the points in S, so the final count is |S|. There is therefore a time at which the line has hit exactly half of the points in S.

First, what do you mean by "bisecting a finite set of points"? In particular, if the line passes through some of the points and has the same number of points on each side, is that "bisecting"?

If you can separate any 2 convex sets, then you can iteratively build up 2 balanced disjoint convex hulls of your points. This is actually pretty general - the Mazur separation lemma let's you separate convex sets in any Banach space.

here is a diagram:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5483/convexs1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
First, what do you mean by "bisecting a finite set of points"? In particular, if the line passes through some of the points and has the same number of points on each side, is that "bisecting"?

Bisecting in this case means dividing the plane into 2 half planes each of which contains an equal number of points. If a point is on the line then it counts towards both sides.

I guess that separation lemma could work, but what if there's an odd number of points? Then the bisecting line must pass through an odd number of points. Not sure if that's always possible.

VKint said:
Yeah, that sentence should have read:

"Then L is finite, so the set T consisting of all points p such that (1) for all lines l in L, p is not on l, and (2) p is below and to the left of B (that is, [tex] p \in (-\infty, -a] \times (-\infty, -a] [/tex] ) is nonempty." In other words,
[tex] \{p \; : \; \ell \in L \Rightarrow p \notin \ell \; \textrm{and} \; p \in (-\infty, -a] \times (-\infty, -a] \} \neq \emptyset [/tex].

It's actually a very easy proof; my post above just got a bit bogged down in formalism. The idea is that you select a point p far to the left and below all your points (again, call the set of all your points S), such that no line runs through p and any two points in S, and imagine rotating a line slowly through p. You then keep track of how many times the line has "hit" a point in S. The crucial idea is that you can arrange things so that this count always increases by just one at a time (this is why we chose p so that it's not collinear with any two points in S). Furthermore, at some point, the line has "hit" all the points in S, so the final count is |S|. There is therefore a time at which the line has hit exactly half of the points in S.

Ok I think I got the idea. This could work.

Dragonfall said:
I guess that separation lemma could work, but what if there's an odd number of points? Then the bisecting line must pass through an odd number of points. Not sure if that's always possible.

ah yeah youre going to have to do some modification if you want it exactly half and half. If the number of points is odd, with this method one group will have exactly 1 more point than the other group.

1. What is a "Trivial Geometry Problem"?

A "Trivial Geometry Problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves basic geometric concepts and requires simple calculations to solve. These types of problems are often used to introduce students to geometry or to test their understanding of fundamental concepts.

2. What are some examples of "Trivial Geometry Problems"?

Examples of "Trivial Geometry Problems" include finding the perimeter or area of a basic shape, determining the length of a line segment, or calculating the angle between two intersecting lines.

3. How can I approach solving a "Trivial Geometry Problem"?

To solve a "Trivial Geometry Problem", it is important to first identify the given information and the unknown variable. Then, use the appropriate formula or concept to solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.

4. Are "Trivial Geometry Problems" useful in real-world applications?

While "Trivial Geometry Problems" may seem simple and basic, they provide a strong foundation for more complex geometric concepts and problem-solving methods. Many real-world applications, such as architecture and engineering, rely on these fundamental principles.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving "Trivial Geometry Problems"?

The best way to improve your skills in solving "Trivial Geometry Problems" is through practice. Start with basic problems and gradually move on to more challenging ones. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, or use online resources and textbooks for additional practice and guidance.