Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trivial information not necessarily unimportantbut random

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    alright i used to look up 5 or so random (or so it seemed to most people) facts, or concepts just about daily. many of which involved mathmatics or sciences. Now more recently i havent done so much, and feel i am becoming far less usefull then i had been previously, and besides who doesent want to win jeopardy. Anyway, what im attempting to ask, if for a very long list of things that anyone ever found interesting, keep in mind this can be as obscure as the anatomy of a chicken, just post something.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    Its impossible to lick your elbow.

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    90% of people that read that will attempt to lick their elbow.

5. Oct 4, 2005 #4
    I came pretty close, Andy.

6. Oct 4, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: I'm not giving up yet!

7. Oct 4, 2005 #6
    i just though of one to add..my version of indows ME rarely runs for more than a straight hour before crashing (answer=linux) ;and by the way i can lick my elbow thank you very much...

8. Oct 4, 2005 #7
    answer = XP

9. Oct 4, 2005 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Of the 50 American States, 8 begin with an M and 8 begin with an N. Eh, I should double-check this. Yep. Maybe you can figure out a way to remember 4311114218831122124. It's the number of states beginning with each letter, in alphabetical order (i.e., 4 states begin with an A, 3 begin with a C, etc. - obviously not counting the letters that no state begins with). I've used the 8 thing before.

10. Oct 4, 2005 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

NO WAY!!! :eek:

Hmm, great. Now everyone at work is trying to act like they're not staring at me.

11. Oct 4, 2005 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

This statistic is outdated. 90% of people have heard this statistic before (and most of them tried it previously.) 9% of the remaining 10% tried it.

12. Oct 4, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Oct 4, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Oct 4, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Oct 4, 2005 #14
    I got pretty close to licking my elbow, within about an inch or two of the tip, before my arm started hurting.

16. Oct 4, 2005 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

(Am I the only one who skipped straight to the mating part? Heh.)
    So is this considered cheating?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  17. Oct 4, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh heck, I seen people in San Francisco do that.

18. Oct 6, 2005 #17

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I actually found this in my C++ compiler's help file! So I'm not sure if this is true or just an interesting hoax.

7 Hz is the resonant frequency of a chicken's skull cavity. This was determined empirically in Australia, where a new factory generating 7-Hz tones was located too
    close to a chicken ranch: When the factory started up, all the chickens died.

19. Oct 6, 2005 #18
    huh, tha last one would be quite interesting to know, im too lazy to go look it up to be sure though

20. Oct 10, 2005 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tony Dungy (Steelers - 77) was the last NFL player to both intercept a pass and throw an interception in the same game.

Elvin Bethea, Oilers defensive lineman, also had a notable accomplishment in that same game - he personally folded, spindled, and mutilated first-string quarterback Terry Bradshaw and second-string quarterback Mike Kruczek, forcing them to leave the game with injuries.

Dungy, a defensive back, stepped in as Kruczek's replacement. While he was unable to rally the Steelers (he threw 2 fourth quarter interceptions in the 27-10 loss), he did manage to avoid being injured by Bethea.

Dungy's football career lasted 3 years (77-78 Steelers; 79 49ers). He had 9 career interceptions as a defensive back and his career quarterback rating was 16.1 (3 of 8 for 43 yards, no TDs and 2 interceptions).

21. Oct 10, 2005 #20
    The protozoan Giardia lamblia, which causes giardiosis, does not have mitochondria.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?