Trouble with Integral to find area using Green's Theorem

In summary: Now that I've got the substitution and the fact that sin^{2}t*cos^{4}t = sin^{2}t-2sin^{4}t+sin^{6}t, I can finally solve for the area:$$\int^{2\pi}_{0}(3a^{2}sin^{2}tcos^{4}t)dt=\frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{1+\cos 2t}{2}\right)$$
Opus_723

Homework Statement

Calculate the area of the region within the hypocycloid x[itex]^{2/3}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2/3}[/itex]=a[itex]^{2/3}[/itex] parameterized by x=acos[itex]^{3}[/itex]t, y=asin[itex]^{3}[/itex]t, 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

In the problem prior to this one, I showed that the line integral of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex]=x[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] around a closed curve in the xy-plane, oriented as in Green's Theorem, measures the area of the region enclosed by the curve. I am supposed to use this fact to find the area above.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've got it all set up right, but I'm having trouble with the integral. Either I'm just forgetting how to solve this sort of integral, or there's another, simpler way to do the problem. The integral I got is:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex](3a[itex]^{2}[/itex]sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]tcos[itex]^{4}[/itex]t)dt

I checked it numerically on wolfram and this integral gives the right answer, but I don't know how to compute it by hand. Normally our prof doesn't assign anything with tricky integrals, so either this is easier than I'm thinking, or there's another way to find the area. But since this vector field isn't path-independent, I don't see any shortcuts I could take.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try starting by writing everything in terms of sin t.

Well, I don't remember too many trig identities, but I'll give it a try.

Starting with sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]t*cos[itex]^{4}[/itex]t (Pulling 3a[itex]^{2}[/itex] out as a constant)

cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]t = 1-sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]t

cos[itex]^{4}[/itex]t = (cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]t)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (1-sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]t)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 1-2sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]t+sin[itex]^{4}[/itex]t

sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]t*cos[itex]^{4}[/itex]t = sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]t-2sin[itex]^{4}[/itex]t+sin[itex]^{6}[/itex]t

Does that look right? The integral still doesn't jump out at me.

That's doable but tedious. Try rewriting the integrand like this:
$$\sin^2 t\ \cos^4 t = (\sin^2 t\ \cos^2 t)\cos^2 t = \frac{1}{4}\sin^2 2t\left(\frac{1+\cos 2t}{2}\right).$$ That's pretty straightforward to integrate after you multiply it out.

1. How do you use Green's Theorem to find the area bounded by a curve?

To use Green's Theorem to find the area bounded by a curve, you must first rewrite the integral as a line integral using the appropriate Green's function. Then, you can use the formula from Green's Theorem to evaluate the integral and find the desired area.

2. What is the purpose of using Green's Theorem to find the area?

Green's Theorem is useful for finding the area bounded by a curve because it allows us to avoid using more complicated techniques, such as double integrals. It also provides a quick and efficient way to calculate the area using the properties of line integrals.

3. Can Green's Theorem be used to find the area for any curve?

No, Green's Theorem can only be used to find the area bounded by a simple closed curve, which means a curve that does not intersect itself and encloses a finite area.

4. How does Green's Theorem relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Green's Theorem is a special case of the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function over a closed curve is equal to the integral of the derivative of that function over the region enclosed by the curve.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's Theorem to find the area?

Yes, one limitation is that the curve must be simple and closed, as mentioned in the answer to question 3. Additionally, Green's Theorem only applies to two-dimensional regions and cannot be used for finding the volume of three-dimensional regions.