Trouble with multiple-current circuit diagram problems.

In summary, the conversation was about using junction/loop rules and systems of equations (or matrices) to find the current or voltage in a given spot in a circuit diagram. The person was having trouble setting up their equations correctly and was seeking help with a specific problem involving a 10.0Ω resistor. They were advised to start a current from the battery in the center of the diagram and write two equations for each loop, using the fact that the current is composed of two other currents to solve for the desired current.
QuietQuasar
I am having trouble with circuit diagram involving multiple currents. We were taught the method of using junction/loop rules and systems of equations (or matrices) to find the current or voltage in a given spot. I think I understand the basic concept but am setting up my equations incorrectly.

Homework Statement

Find the current in the 10.0[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistor in the drawing (V1 = 15.0 V and R1 = 27.0[tex]\Omega[/tex])
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/307214/20_82alt.gif

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's rules...I don't think any actual equations?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I decided to pick a common start point for the problem as the lower right corner.
Then I labeled the currents in the circuit: I[tex]_{A}[/tex] as going to the right in the left branch, I[tex]_{B}[/tex] going to the right in the right branch, and I[tex]_{C}[/tex] going up across the middle.
I then setup 2 of my equations by going in a loop from my start point and adding or subtracting the voltages, so:
+15 + 10 - 27I[tex]_{A} [/tex] - 5I[tex]_{B}[/tex] =0 for going around the left branch and
15 + 10 - 10I[tex]_{C} [/tex] - 5I[tex]_{B}[/tex] =0 for going up the middle.
I then determined (perhaps incorrectly) that I[tex]_{A}[/tex]+I[tex]_{B}[/tex] =I[tex]_{C}[/tex]
From here I setup matrices on my calculator as such:
Matrix [A]
-27 -5 0
0 -5 -10
1 1 -1
and
Matrix
I then did [A][tex]^{-1}[/tex]* for the results:
None of these answers are correct :/
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
-QQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this approach. Start a current from the battery in the center of the circuit diagram. The current moves towards the top where it splits into two other currents, I2 going to the left and I3 going to the right. You can then write an equation for each loop. This will give you two equations but three variables. To solve this problem, you can use the fact that the current I1 is composed of both I2 and I3 (i.e. I1 = I2 + I3). This will allow you to eliminate a variable and solve for I1.

In this sort of diagram, I find it useful to start at the battery in the center of the circuit so that the current splits and rejoins at the bottom. I find it much easier to visualize what currents are adding together.

Last edited:

1. What is a multiple-current circuit diagram problem?

A multiple-current circuit diagram problem is a type of electrical circuit problem that involves multiple sources of current, such as batteries or power supplies, connected to different components within the circuit. These problems require the use of Kirchhoff's current law to analyze and solve.

2. Why are multiple-current circuit diagram problems difficult to solve?

Multiple-current circuit diagram problems can be difficult to solve because they involve complex circuits with multiple currents flowing in different directions. This can make it challenging to determine the total current at a certain point in the circuit, as well as the individual currents through each component.

3. What is Kirchhoff's current law and how is it used in multiple-current circuit diagram problems?

Kirchhoff's current law, also known as Kirchhoff's junction law, states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must be equal to the total current leaving the junction. This law is used in multiple-current circuit diagram problems to analyze the current flow at different points in the circuit and to solve for unknown currents.

4. How do you approach solving a multiple-current circuit diagram problem?

The first step in solving a multiple-current circuit diagram problem is to carefully label all the known values, such as resistances and currents, and identify the unknown values. Next, apply Kirchhoff's current law at different junctions in the circuit to create a system of equations. Then, use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown values.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving multiple-current circuit diagram problems?

Some tips for solving multiple-current circuit diagram problems include carefully labeling all known and unknown values, using Kirchhoff's current law to create a system of equations, and simplifying the circuit by combining resistors in series or parallel. It can also be helpful to draw a simplified version of the circuit and to check your calculations using Ohm's law and the power equation.