1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with taylor's Inequality

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok so I have been having trouble computing [tex] |R_{n}|[/tex]
    in problems.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]|R_{n}|\leq \frac{M}{(n+1)!}|x-a|[/tex]^(n+1)
    [tex] M\geq f[/tex]^(n+1) (h)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can some one walk me through calculatng some generic solution.
    Like finding M and all that? I need more insight on what it actually does too.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

if f is differentiable, you can use the methods of calculus to find the extremas of f and hence its absolute max. such a number is as M in your post.

in other cases, you can find such an M w/o calculus. If foor instance, f(x)=4sin(x). Well, |sin(x)|[itex]\leq[/itex]1, so |f(x)|[itex]\leq[/itex]4. So M=4 will do
  4. Aug 9, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you use the nth Taylor polynomial for ex, about x= 0, the error is less than
    where M is an upperbound on the n+1 derivative between 0 and x. Of course, every derivative of ex is ex itself so we just need an upperbound on that. For example if x= 1, We know the derivative is less than e so we can use that as an upper bound. The error is less than

Calculating errors for the Taylor Polynomials for sine and cosine is even easier: all derivatives are either sine or cosine and 1 is always an upper bound.
  5. Aug 9, 2007 #4
    Ok so suppose I have my function [tex]f(x)=\sqrt(x)[/tex] and the interval [.5,1.5] using n=2 centered at 1. So:
    [tex] |R_{2}|\leq \frac{M}{3!} |x-1|^3[/tex]
    [tex] f^3(x)= \frac{3}{8x^(5/2)}\leq M[/tex]. My upperbound on [tex]f^3(x)[/tex] is 1.5 so [tex] f^3(1.5)=\frac{\sqrt(3)}{72}[/tex]
    So: [tex] |R_{2}|\leq \frac{\sqrt(3)}{72*3!} |x-1|^3[/tex] X=1.5
    So: So: [tex] |R_{2}|\leq \frac{\sqrt(3)}{72*3!} |.5|^3[/tex]
    How does that sound?
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  6. Aug 9, 2007 #5
    Say [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x+1}[/tex] centered at 0, the reason why I am doing it this way is because you can get same result upon a basic substitution. On [tex](-1,1)[/tex].

[tex]f(x) = (x+1)^{1/2} \implies f'(0)=1[/tex]
    [tex]f'(x) = \frac{1}{2}(x+1)^{-1/2} \implies f'(0)=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]f''(x) = - \frac{1}{4}(x+1)^{-3/2} \implies f''(0) = -\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

That means for some [tex]y[/tex] between [tex]x\not =0[/tex] and [tex]0[/tex] we have:
    [tex]R_2(x) = f(x) - T_2(x) = \frac{f'''(y)}{3!}x^3[/tex]

[tex]\left| \frac{f'''(y)}{3!}x^3 \right| = \left| \frac{3}{3!\cdot 8}\cdot \frac{(y+1)^{-5/2}}{1} \cdot x^3 \right| \leq \frac{3}{3!\cdot 8}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?