True/false questions about open/closed sets

• Thread starter utleysthrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, an open set is one that does not include its boundary points, while a closed set contains all of its boundary points. To determine if a set is open or closed, one must look at the endpoints and see if they are included or excluded. It is possible for a set to be both open and closed, known as a clopen set. Continuity in mathematics is related to open and closed sets, as a function is considered continuous if the preimage of an open set is an open set. An example of a set that is neither open nor closed is the set of all rational numbers between 0 and 1, as it contains its boundary points but also has points that are not included in the set.
utleysthrow

Homework Statement

although I'm supposed to provide explanations for these, i just want to see if my intuition about them is correct..

1) For any set [tex]A \subseteq R, \overline{A}^{c}[/tex] is open

2) If a set A has an isolated point, it cannot be an open set

3) Set A is closed if and only if [tex]\overline{A} = A[/tex]

4) If A is a bounded set, s=sup A is a limit point of A

5) Every finite set is closed

6) An open set that contains every rational #s must necessarily be all of R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) True
2) True
3) True
4) True
5) False
6) False

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming we're only working with subsets of the real line.

I agree with your answers to 1,2,3,6. For 5 I disagree as all one-point sets are closed and finite unions of closed sets are closed. As for 4 I agree for some definitions of limit points (I have seen different definitions in different books). If you require that all neighborhoods of x intersect A in some place OTHER than x, then I disagree since {1} is bounded, sup{1} =1, but 1 is not a limit point of {1}. If you only require that every neighborhood of x intersect A, then I agree.

Yeah, you're right for 4 as well, since I'm using the first definition you mentioned. The set doesn't have to be "continuous".

Hmmm... I'm thinking that maybe 6 is true.

6) An open set that contains every rational #s must necessarily be all of R.

All rational #s by themselves are closed and so the (countably) finite union of them would be closed... but is it possible to construct an "open" set that just contains rational #s?

Edit: actually... regardless of whether it's possible to create an open set containing rational numbers, any set containing rational numbers should contain irrationals... right? Sorry I'm not sure how to explain it better.

Last edited:
i assume we're talking about open as a subset of R here?

utleysthrow said:
Hmmm... I'm thinking that maybe 6 is true.

All rational #s by themselves are closed and so the (countably) finite union of them would be closed... but is it possible to construct an "open" set that just contains rational #s?
I'm thinking its true as well, as any real number can be approximated abritrarily close by a rational, ie. the rationals are dense in the reals. So any open interval of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] must contain rationals and irrational

utleysthrow said:
Edit: actually... regardless of whether it's possible to create an open set containing rational numbers, any set containing rational numbers should contain irrationals... right? Sorry I'm not sure how to explain it better.

what about {1/3} no irrationals there...

the set of all rational numbers [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex] is not open in [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] either, as any neighbourhood will contain an irrational which is not in [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex]

Oops, I meant to say a set containing "every" rational numbers, as the question asks.

(And yes I'm talking about subsets of R.)

As you said, the rationals are dense in the reals, so [tex]R=\overline{Q}[/tex]. So an open set containing every rationals also contains every irrationals, since any open set contains rationals and irrationals (and hence the reals)

[itex](\sqrt{2},\infty)[/itex] and [itex](-\infty,\sqrt{2})[/itex] are open so
[tex]U=(-\infty,\sqrt{2})\cup(\sqrt{2},\infty) = \mathbb{R} - \{\sqrt{2}\}[/tex]
is open and contains all rationals, but U is not [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

good point, missed that

1. What is the difference between an open set and a closed set?

An open set is a set that does not contain its boundary points, while a closed set is a set that contains all of its boundary points. In other words, an open set does not include its endpoints, while a closed set does include its endpoints.

2. How do you determine if a set is open or closed?

A set is considered open if it does not contain its boundary points, and closed if it contains all of its boundary points. This can be determined by looking at the endpoints of the set and determining if they are included or excluded.

3. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. This type of set is called a clopen set. An example of a clopen set would be the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1, including 0 and 1.

4. How do open and closed sets relate to continuity in mathematics?

In mathematics, a function is considered continuous if the preimage of an open set is an open set. This means that if the input to a function is an open set, the output will also be an open set. Similarly, if the preimage of a closed set is a closed set, the function is considered continuous as well.

5. Can you give an example of a set that is neither open nor closed?

Yes, an example of a set that is neither open nor closed is the set of all rational numbers between 0 and 1. This set contains its boundary points (0 and 1), but also has points that are not included in the set (irrational numbers). Therefore, it is neither open nor closed.