FAA Whistleblowers: A Story of Trusting Authority

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Some of the people with the FAA are very professional and helpful. No, airplanes are safe in spite of the FAA. Some of the people with the FAA are very professional and helpful.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A story that sort of shocked me, i thought these guys were just so good.

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/2008/04/03/D8VQMF700_faa_whistleblowers_hearing/index.html?source=rss&aim=wires?source=yahoo

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You thought the FAA was good? Wow, ok...

russ_watters said:
You thought the FAA was good? Wow, ok...

I thought they did a good job keeping aircraft flying in safety.

They are from the government and they are here to help.

wolram said:
I thought they did a good job keeping aircraft flying in safety.
No, airplanes are safe in spite of the FAA.

russ_watters said:
No, airplanes are safe in spite of the FAA.

I must have the wrong impression Russ i know they give some lee way to the advantage of carriers, but are they so bad?

wolram said:
I must have the wrong impression Russ i know they give some lee way to the advantage of carriers, but are they so bad?

Some of the people with the FAA are very professional and helpful. I used to fly (pilot) often and never had the first problem with anyone in the FAA. The system depends on Aircraft owners and operators having integrity. The people who took advantage should have their head handed to them.

I don't really know a lot about the past history of the FAA, in what way are they bad Russ? I always had the impression that they were pretty strict on things.

Cyrus, it looks like you need a little left rudder.

Its that dang p-factor.

I am sure if i choose i would fly, the aircraft industry is the best regulated transport system,
any crash is investigated and 99 times out of a 100 a cause is found and recommendations ,
or even groundings follow, i agree some times the time limits for inspection or modification
are elastic and some crashes would not have occurred is they were not, but no commercial system is perfect.

What is the main focus of "FAA Whistleblowers: A Story of Trusting Authority"?

The main focus of "FAA Whistleblowers: A Story of Trusting Authority" is to shed light on the experiences of whistleblowers within the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the consequences they faced for speaking out against safety violations and other issues within the organization.

How does this book address the issue of trusting authority?

The book explores the idea of trusting authority through the lens of whistleblowers who were met with retaliation and betrayal from the very authority they trusted to maintain safety and uphold regulations. It also delves into the systemic issues within the FAA that allowed these violations to occur in the first place.

What are some common themes or patterns among the stories of FAA whistleblowers?

Some common themes among the stories of FAA whistleblowers include a culture of fear and intimidation within the organization, lack of accountability for higher-ups, and the detrimental effects of retaliation on the whistleblowers' careers and personal lives.

How does this book contribute to the conversation about whistleblower protection?

This book brings attention to the need for stronger whistleblower protection laws and policies within the FAA and other government organizations. It also highlights the importance of holding those in positions of power accountable for their actions.

What is the overall message or takeaway from "FAA Whistleblowers: A Story of Trusting Authority"?

The overall message of the book is that speaking out against wrongdoing and standing up for what is right is crucial, even in the face of adversity and betrayal. It also emphasizes the need for transparency and accountability within organizations to prevent future violations and protect whistleblowers.