Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trusting the FAA

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You thought the FAA was good? Wow, ok...

4. Apr 3, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I thought they did a good job keeping aircraft flying in safety.

5. Apr 3, 2008 #4
    They are from the government and they are here to help.

6. Apr 4, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, airplanes are safe in spite of the FAA.

7. Apr 4, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I must have the wrong impression Russ i know they give some lee way to the advantage of carriers, but are they so bad?

8. Apr 4, 2008 #7
    Some of the people with the FAA are very professional and helpful. I used to fly (pilot) often and never had the first problem with anyone in the FAA. The system depends on Aircraft owners and operators having integrity. The people who took advantage should have their head handed to them.

9. Apr 4, 2008 #8
    I dont really know a lot about the past history of the FAA, in what way are they bad Russ? I always had the impression that they were pretty strict on things.

10. Apr 4, 2008 #9
    Cyrus, it looks like you need a little left rudder.

11. Apr 4, 2008 #10
    Its that dang p-factor.

12. Apr 4, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I am sure if i choose i would fly, the aircraft industry is the best regulated transport system,
    any crash is investigated and 99 times out of a 100 a cause is found and recommendations ,
    or even groundings follow, i agree some times the time limits for inspection or modification
    are elastic and some crashes would not have occurred is they were not, but no commercial system is perfect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?