Trying to compare two different weights during drop through analysis.

In summary, the conversation revolves around a project at work involving parts a and b which weigh 10 and 13 pounds respectively. Both parts are packaged in a foam container and there is test data showing that part a can survive drop tests. The goal is to analyze if part b can also survive the drop test without actually testing it. The drop height is 5 feet and the foam has a specification of requiring 90lbf to deflect it .25 inch. The initial calculation is to find the kinetic energy of both parts and divide by the displacement, but the foam padding adds damping to the equation. The question is how to solve this problem and if deflection greater than .25" is the failure condition. The conclusion is that part b is
Spoolx
Hi guys,
I am working on a project at work where we make part a which weighs 10 pounds and part b which weighs 13 pounds.

Parts a and b both get packaged in a foam container. I have test data on part a that says it will survive drop tests, I was hoping to do analysis to say part b will also survive the drop test without actually having to test part b.
The drop height is 5 feet. The foam has a specification where it takes 90lbf to deflect it .25 inch

My initial calculation was to find the kinetic energy of both, and then divide by the displacement to find the force, however obviously the foam padding adds some sort of damping to the equation. So I really don't know how to solve this problem.
When I do my KE equation I can't figure out how to get rid of the ft from the numerator as I need lbs to calculate deflection of the foam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is the condition for failure?

right off the bat, we can say part a does 5*10=50ftlb and part b does 5*13=65ftlb.
Is deflection greater than .25" the failure condition? If so, you can see that part b is < 90ftlb, and therefore ok.

does that help?

1. What is drop through analysis?

Drop through analysis is a method used to measure the flow behavior of granular materials, such as powders or grains, through a funnel or hopper. It involves measuring the time it takes for a certain amount of material to pass through the opening.

2. How do I compare two different weights during drop through analysis?

The weights can be compared by measuring the time it takes for each weight to pass through the funnel or hopper. The weight that takes less time to pass through is considered to have better flow behavior.

3. What factors can affect the results of drop through analysis?

The results of drop through analysis can be affected by factors such as the particle size, shape, and density of the material, as well as the design and dimensions of the funnel or hopper being used.

4. How do I ensure accurate results in drop through analysis?

To ensure accurate results in drop through analysis, it is important to use a consistent amount of material for each test, as well as a standardized funnel or hopper design. It is also recommended to repeat the test multiple times and take an average of the results.

5. What are the advantages of using drop through analysis?

Drop through analysis can provide valuable information about the flow behavior of materials, which can be useful in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, and mining. It can also help in optimizing processes and improving product quality.