Trying to figure out integral with infitnite limites

In summary, in order to solve the given integral, one can use the substitution u=(x-x0)/a and factor out the a^4 term, which results in 1/(1+u^4). This can then be solved using partial fractions. Another approach is to let u=e^(iθ) and use the residue theorem. Both methods lead to the solution \frac{\pi*\sqrt{2}}{2} when the 'a' factor is put back in.
z00maffect

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}(1/(a^{4}+(x-x_{0})^{4}))dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i let [tex]u = (x-x_{0})^{4}[/tex]

but have no idea what to go from there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use u=(x-x0)/a and factor out the a^4. That gives you 1/(1+u^4). (1+u^4)=(u^2-sqrt(2)u+1)*(u^2+sqrt(2)u+1). Use partial fractions on that. It's not an easy integral, but it can be done.

awesome thanks! got [tex]\pi*\sqrt{2}/2[/tex]

z00maffect said:
awesome thanks! got [tex]\pi*\sqrt{2}/2[/tex]

Good job. Don't forget to put the 'a' factor back in again.

As Dick said, firstly let [tex]
u=\frac{x-x_{0}}{a} [/tex] then [tex] du= adx [/tex] and now integral becomes

[tex]
\frac{1}{a^{5}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{1}{1+u^{4}}du
[/tex]
Secondly, by letting [tex] u=e^{i\theta} [/tex] and [tex] du=i*{e}^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]
you can use "residue theorem". Yet, I forgot how can we apply here. After I remember, I'll post it

What is an infinite limit in integration?

An infinite limit in integration refers to the upper or lower bound of the integral being either positive or negative infinity. This means that the function being integrated does not have a finite upper or lower bound, and the integral will continue indefinitely.

How do you handle an infinite limit in integration?

To handle an infinite limit in integration, you can use a variety of techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You may also need to apply certain rules, such as L'Hopital's rule, to evaluate the integral.

Can you evaluate an integral with infinite limits analytically?

Yes, it is possible to evaluate an integral with infinite limits analytically. However, it may require advanced mathematical techniques and may not always result in a closed-form solution.

What are the applications of integrating with infinite limits?

Integrals with infinite limits have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to calculate areas under curves, volumes of shapes, and work done by varying forces.

Are there any strategies for solving integrals with infinite limits?

Yes, there are various strategies for solving integrals with infinite limits, such as using symmetry, manipulating the integrand, and using known integrals as a reference. It is also important to consider the behavior of the function near the infinite limits to determine the convergence of the integral.