1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to fix a simplification issue for a general range formula

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    So I have derived a formula for the range of projectile in a vacuum fired from an arbitrary height h from above the ground as the following...

R=(vcosθ/g)[vsinθ+sqrt((vsinθ)^2+2gh)]

Now it seems all well and good, but when I try to play with it by multiplying the RHS by the congugate term over the conjugate term (i.e. multiplying by one), I keep coming up with the 2gh factor on top which if h=0 leads to a discrepancy between the two. Can anyone help reconcile this? Note that all factors in the equation are positive values. I can provide a derivation of this equation later if neccessary, but am late to be somewhere and so I must do it later.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not there's a discrepancy. If you plug in h = 0 you will 0/0, which is indeterminate. So the right thing to do is take the limit as h tends to 0 from above, and that will give you sin(2θ)/g, as before.

4. Oct 31, 2012 #3
    Ok, I see the discontinuity now. I feel horrifically blind now.

5. Oct 31, 2012 #4
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook