Trying to increase the voltage out of a photodiode.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
gittenlucky
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have an impulse of ~200mV, ~50nA for about 0.15 seconds. To interface with my circuit, I need it to be 1V+. The problem is, I don't want to use an opamp, or something else that needs to be constantly powered. An ideal solution would be a relay or a FET that has a gate threshold in the millivolt range. However, I can't find anything similar to this. I have power available, but I do not want it to be used until the impulse occurs. Are there any other options for me at this low voltage level?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
gittenlucky said:
I have an impulse of ~200mV, ~50nA for about 0.15 seconds. To interface with my circuit, I need it to be 1V+. The problem is, I don't want to use an opamp, or something else that needs to be constantly powered. An ideal solution would be a relay or a FET that has a gate threshold in the millivolt range. However, I can't find anything similar to this. I have power available, but I do not want it to be used until the impulse occurs. Are there any other options for me at this low voltage level?

The output from a photodiode is a photocurrent. Are you getting that 200mV by putting the 50nA through a 4 MegOhm resistor?

How often do the pulses occur? Do you need to know the pulse width, or is it okay if you just get a trigger signal for each pulse?

There are also some very low power opamps that may do what you want...
 
Looks like Maxim has some with supply currents in the 20uA range...

http://www.maximintegrated.com/products/amp_comp/low_power/

.
 
Depends upon your application.
One option might be a charge pump.
 
berkeman said:
Great minds think alike :biggrin:

Thanks, I take it as a big compliment.:biggrin: