Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to locate information on the following painting...

Tags:
  1. Jun 29, 2015 #1
    Hello all, I am trying to locate information on the following painting:

painting_zpsiiwopimn.png

Information either about the name of the artist or location of the painting is what I am after. I have searched high and low but have found nothing (and the signature is very difficult to read).

I am at my wits end, so before I pull out what is left of what used to be a thick head of hair I will reward any fellow Physicsforumer with a one year gold membership in exchange for said information.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried Google image search? I got lots of hits.

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3
    What did you punch in, and did this image come up?

5. Jun 29, 2015 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I copied the URL of his image, selected images on the google page and then clicked the camera icon that allows you to input the url.

I'm still searching through the links but this one claims to link it to the owner. I haven't found it on the owner's page yet.

6. Jun 29, 2015 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The best hit that I've found so far - Apocalypto by Grzegorz Rutkowski (88grzes). He appears to be the one who created it and everyone else just copied it. His Facebook page is listed on the first link.

7. Jun 29, 2015 #6
    I had no idea you could do that. Bet I come in last.

8. Jun 29, 2015 #7
    You sir, are a master of Google.

Greg, how do I buy this guy a gold membership?

9. Jun 29, 2015 #8

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There used to be a thread here called https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/forum-game-wheres-that-landmark.270543/ [Broken] where people would post pictures and you would have to figure out where they were taken. Google's reverse image search pretty much killed that thread because the landmarks became too easy to find.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. Jun 29, 2015 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not necessary. Glad I could help.

11. Jun 29, 2015 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you use chrome, you just right click on the image, a box will open, go down to "Search google for this image", select and you will get the results. It's just 2 clicks.

12. Jun 29, 2015 #11
    This is what I kept trying to do, but the camera icon was nowhere to be found. Google via Safari doesn't seem to have this feature, and I was afraid google had discontinued it. I opened Firefox, however, and there the camera was.

Even so, when I tried with Firefox, nothing seemed to even mention the deviantart page that is the true origin of this image. You are a good gumshoe.

13. Jun 30, 2015 #12

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Zooby. Yes, I used Firefox and I did have to dig around a bit. The initial image search describes it as Fallen Angel. I added "author" to the search and eventually found it. I should have added "artist" :oldeyes: and it comes through on the fifth page. Strangely, that result is the only one that returned a different image in the Google previews. But, if you continue to the page, all of the information is there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook