Trying to locate information on the following painting....

In summary: Zooby. Yes, I used Firefox and I did have to dig around a bit. The initial image search describes it as Fallen Angel. I added "author" to the search and eventually found it. I should have added "artist" :oldeyes: and it comes through on the fifth page. Strangely, that result is the only one that returned a different image in the Google previews. But, if you continue to the page, all of the information is...In summary, an expert in Google search found a deviantart page that links to the painting's true origin. The deviantart page is for a painting called "Fallen Angel." However, the only image that
mesa
Gold Member
Hello all, I am trying to locate information on the following painting:

painting_zpsiiwopimn.png

Information either about the name of the artist or location of the painting is what I am after. I have searched high and low but have found nothing (and the signature is very difficult to read).

I am at my wits end, so before I pull out what is left of what used to be a thick head of hair I will reward any fellow Physicsforumer with a one year gold membership in exchange for said information.

Physics news on Phys.org
mesa said:
Hello all, I am trying to locate information on the following painting:

painting_zpsiiwopimn.png

Information either about the name of the artist or location of the painting is what I am after. I have searched high and low but have found nothing (and the signature is very difficult to read).

I am at my wits end, so before I pull out what is left of what used to be a thick head of hair I will reward any fellow Physicsforumer with a one year gold membership in exchange for said information.
Have you tried Google image search? I got lots of hits.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Evo
Borg said:
Have you tried Google image search? I got lots of hits.
What did you punch in, and did this image come up?

zoobyshoe said:
I copied the URL of his image, selected images on the google page and then clicked the camera icon that allows you to input the url.

I'm still searching through the links but this one claims to link it to the owner. I haven't found it on the owner's page yet.

Likes berkeman and mesa
The best hit that I've found so far - http://88grzes.deviantart.com/art/Apocalypto-134103575?q=gallery%3A88grzes%2F2851871&qo=22 by Grzegorz Rutkowski (http://88grzes.deviantart.com/. He appears to be the one who created it and everyone else just copied it. His Facebook page is listed on the first link.

Likes mesa
Borg said:
I copied the URL of his image, selected images on the google page and then clicked the camera icon that allows you to input the url.

I'm still searching through the links but this one claims to link it to the owner. I haven't found it on the owner's page yet.

I had no idea you could do that. Bet I come in last.

Likes Borg
Borg said:
The best hit that I've found so far - http://88grzes.deviantart.com/art/Apocalypto-134103575?q=gallery%3A88grzes%2F2851871&qo=22 by Grzegorz Rutkowski (http://88grzes.deviantart.com/. He appears to be the one who created it and everyone else just copied it. His Facebook page is listed on the first link.

You sir, are a master of Google.

Greg, how do I buy this guy a gold membership?

mesa said:
I had no idea you could do that. Bet I come in last.
There used to be a thread here called https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/forum-game-wheres-that-landmark.270543/ where people would post pictures and you would have to figure out where they were taken. Google's reverse image search pretty much killed that thread because the landmarks became too easy to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
mesa said:
You sir, are a master of Google.

Greg, how do I buy this guy a gold membership?
Not necessary. Glad I could help.

Likes berkeman
zoobyshoe said:
If you use chrome, you just right click on the image, a box will open, go down to "Search google for this image", select and you will get the results. It's just 2 clicks.

Likes berkeman
Borg said:
This is what I kept trying to do, but the camera icon was nowhere to be found. Google via Safari doesn't seem to have this feature, and I was afraid google had discontinued it. I opened Firefox, however, and there the camera was.

Even so, when I tried with Firefox, nothing seemed to even mention the deviantart page that is the true origin of this image. You are a good gumshoe.

Likes Borg and Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
This is what I kept trying to do, but the camera icon was nowhere to be found. Google via Safari doesn't seem to have this feature, and I was afraid google had discontinued it. I opened Firefox, however, and there the camera was.

Even so, when I tried with Firefox, nothing seemed to even mention the deviantart page that is the true origin of this image. You are a good gumshoe.
Thanks, Zooby. Yes, I used Firefox and I did have to dig around a bit. The initial image search describes it as Fallen Angel. I added "author" to the search and eventually found it. I should have added "artist" :oldeyes: and it comes through on the fifth page. Strangely, that result is the only one that returned a different image in the Google previews. But, if you continue to the page, all of the information is there.

1. What is the name of the painting?

The name of the painting is a crucial piece of information needed to locate it. It is usually located in the title of the painting or in the artist's catalog.

2. Who is the artist of the painting?

The artist of the painting is another key piece of information needed to locate it. The artist's name is usually found in the signature or in the artist's catalog.

3. When was the painting created?

The date of creation is important in identifying the painting and its historical significance. It can usually be found in the artist's catalog or by researching the time period and style of the painting.

4. Where is the painting currently located?

Knowing the current location of the painting can help in narrowing down the search. It can be found in a museum, private collection, or auction house.

5. Are there any known reproductions of the painting?

Reproductions of paintings are common, and knowing if there are any known reproductions can help in determining the authenticity of the painting. This information can usually be found in the artist's catalog or by researching the history of the painting.