Trying to model the acceleration of a system due to an impulse forcing function

In summary, the team is trying to find out what the actual acceleration is when someone is riding on a spring-damped device and they use an impulse to calculate it. They get a spike in the acceleration around 50 m/s^2. They are not sure what is causing this.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

My team and I are working on a design project to design/modify a device that can go on hikes for paraplegic/quadriplegic people.

Here is the current design (not designed by us):

http://i.imgur.com/RAOq28k.png
http://i.imgur.com/zgA3aCg.png

We are thinking of adding a spring damping system to reduce shock on the passenger. We calculated that we would need a k = 87.3 kN/m and b = 4.137 kNs/m to meet some of the specifications. The mass of the entire device is about 100 kg. Using these we want to find the acceleration felt by the rider after going over a bump. So we decided to model it using an impulse. We calculated that on average the bumps would create an acceleration of 1.36 m/s^2 on the rider without a damping system. Thus, we want to find out what the actual acceleration would be with a spring and damper.

The Attempt at a Solution

ln82f3z.jpg

Plugging this into wolfram gives us:
x(t) = .064461*e^(-20.685t)*sin21.098t
(http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x''+++41.37*x'+++873*x+=+1.36*delta(t),+x(0)+=+0,+x'(0)+=+0)

Taking the second derivative gives us the acceleration:
x''(t) e^(-20.685 t) (-56.2631 cos(21.098 t)-1.11236 sin(21.098 t))
(http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=second+derivative+of+.064461*e^(-20.685t)*sin21.098t)

This means that the magnitude of the maximum acceleration will be 56.3 m/s^2 which does not make sense since the input was only 1.36 m/s^2. Any idea what is going on here?

In fact I found the solution to x(t) online and it corresponds with what I got from wolfram:
jS186MP.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone know?

I've spent the last few hours thinking about it. I'll try and ask my mechanics professor tomorrow, if he's around.

Well, I've talked with my professor about solving this, and tried solving it some different ways. Even still, at the time of the impulse I'm also getting a spike in the acceleration around 50 m/s^2.

My best guess is that this comes from using the dirac function as your impulse. Otherwise, I really don't know.

Last edited:
Careful with your Dirac delta function. It's making your equation inconsistent dimension-wise since the dimensions of δ(t) is T-1. It's not dimensionless.

To give the impulse term the correct dimensions, which is force, your impulse must be defined as a force-time or momentum input multiplied by δ(t) . So your impulse term must look like (FΔt)δ(t) or Δpδ(t) and you somehow have to come up with an estimate of how much force over how much time is applied to the system, or how much change of momentum.

1. What is an impulse forcing function?

An impulse forcing function is a type of external force or input that acts on a system for a very short duration, often considered to be instantaneous. It is characterized by a sudden change or spike in the force, followed by a return to zero. In mathematical terms, it can be represented as a Dirac delta function.

2. How does an impulse forcing function affect the acceleration of a system?

An impulse forcing function can cause a sudden change in the velocity of a system, which in turn leads to a change in acceleration. The magnitude and direction of the acceleration will depend on the magnitude and direction of the impulse force, as well as the mass and initial velocity of the system.

3. What factors influence the acceleration of a system due to an impulse forcing function?

The acceleration of a system due to an impulse forcing function is influenced by the magnitude and direction of the impulse force, as well as the mass and initial velocity of the system. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces may also play a role.

4. Can the acceleration of a system due to an impulse forcing function be predicted accurately?

It is possible to predict the acceleration of a system due to an impulse forcing function using mathematical models and equations, but it may not always be accurate. Factors such as external forces, variations in the impulse force, and uncertainties in the initial conditions can affect the accuracy of the prediction.

5. How can the acceleration of a system due to an impulse forcing function be measured experimentally?

The acceleration of a system due to an impulse forcing function can be measured using sensors such as accelerometers. These sensors can record the changes in acceleration over time, which can then be analyzed to determine the effect of the impulse force on the system. Other experimental methods may also be used, depending on the specific system and research goals.