Trying to understand capacitors and inductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction between capacitors and inductors in a power system. The experts provide clarification on how capacitors and inductors affect power factor, the role of capacitors in supplying energy to the inductor's magnetic field, and the impact of adding capacitors on current flow. They also explain how a capacitor bank can increase voltage and the potential issues with having too much capacitance near a load.
djs6588
Recently got hired at a local electric utility and unfortunately my college did not offer a lot of power classes so I am struggling with some things that really come down to how capacitors and inductors interact. I think I have some ideas but am really looking for some reassurance that I am right or why I am wrong.

1) If inductors make the current lag and you add caps to make the voltage lag this is just bringing the p.f. closer to unity. But whether it is at unity or not the inductors still need vars to build up the magnetic field. Are the added caps now supplying the energy needed for the inductors magnetic field? (when I say supply I mean the capacitor is now releasing the stored energy in it's E field which the inductor now uses to build its magnetic field)
2) If the caps are now supplying the energy to build up the magnetic field how is this happening? In the first quarter of the sine wave, when the energy is being stored in the inductor, woundn't the capacitor be charging and not be able to supply the energy needed? If someone could help me understand what happens in a cap and inductor in the first half of the sine wave I would appreciate it.
3) If there is a capicitor 1 span (say 50 ft of wire) away from an inductive load, and I am correct in thinking the caps supply the vars to the inductor, then would the current in this 1 span of wire be higher than the span before it since there is additional current flowing between the cap and inductor?
4) How does a cap bank raise the voltage? My thinking was since there is less current being supplied by the generator then there are less line losses and that raises the voltage.

If anyone can help me understand any of these questions a little better I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello DJS - Welcome to PF :

I also started in field service as an EE but had no 3 PH power education. You seem to be on the right track ( ahead of me) in your thinking.

As for item 1: Probably best to think of caps causing a current lead (as in leading power factor), so that your phase reference is always the voltage. But your logic is correct. Since there is no net energy consumed ( converted ) in the Mag filed of the inductor ( or motor) or the Elec Field of the Capacitors - they each alternate charging and discharging - passing the energy back and forth. (props for recognizing that we are talking about energy - not just v and I...)

2) Since a capacitor has a "90 deg leading PF" and the Inductor 90 Deg lagging PF - they are 180 our of phase with each other. At the peak of the Voltage sine - the Capacitor is reaching full charge ( 0 Current) and the Inductor ( is near full current) -- this is best for a Sketch of the sine waves or a simple LTSPICE simulation will kick this out asap.

3) Well only if you are comparing to the Inductive load and caps on the same pole ( by span I am assuming you are talking about power poles. The Inductive load draws the same current - the only difference is inductive load vs inductive load + Caps. - Also see #4

4) Nail on the head - keep in mind the MANY transformations and distance of wire the power travels from the the generation source to the load. If you need current that is not being used for power ( i.e. VARS) - the whole system has to support that current - supporting the current requires power ( via losses ) - but delivers no power to the user.

Bonus Question -- particularly for starting motors, why is it a bad idea to have too much capacitance close to the load ( i.e. a net leading power factor before the motor starts.)

Good Luck

Paul

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of an electrical charge. It consists of two conductors, separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire, which generates a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it.

How do capacitors and inductors work together in a circuit?

Capacitors and inductors work together to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. The capacitor stores energy in the form of a charge, while the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. They can be used to filter, buffer, and store energy in a circuit.

What is the difference between a capacitor and an inductor?

The main difference between a capacitor and an inductor is the way they store energy. A capacitor stores energy in the form of a charge, while an inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. Additionally, the behavior of a capacitor is determined by its capacitance, while the behavior of an inductor is determined by its inductance.

How do you calculate the capacitance and inductance of a capacitor and an inductor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the potential difference between the plates. The inductance of an inductor can be calculated by dividing the magnetic flux through the coil by the current passing through it. Both capacitance and inductance can also be affected by the physical properties of the materials used and the geometry of the components.