1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to understand Levi-Civita Symbol and notation

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I am having a little difficulty understanding what exactly the Levi-Civita symbol is about.

In the past I believed that it was equal to 1, -1 and 0, depending on the number of permutations of i,j,k. I had just accepted that to be the extent of it.

However, now I am seeing things like summations with i,j,k mentioned as WELL as other letters, for example m and n in the link below. I tried reading online about it to understand what exactly it is, especially here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol#Relation_to_Kronecker_delta

How can something that is the value of -1, 1 or 0 be written as a sum, with i=1 up to 3 as written in the link, without any mention of the values of j or k? Whenever I see summation, I think substitute i=1 first, then add with i=2, then add the value with i=3, and that's the answer. But if it's E_ijk E_imn, if I sub into the 'contracted epsilon identity' as shown on wikipedia I get

E_1jk E_1mn + E2jk E_2mn + E3jk E_3mn

How do I know what to do with the levi-civita symbol if I don't know what to with all these other letters?

What does this expression even mean? :S

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, I haven't had much experience ever using it and I'm worried I'll fall behind in class if I don't get this cleared up.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Werbel22! :smile:

i=1 up to 3 is only for three dimensions.

For the generalisation to n dimensions, i = 1 to n.

The product of two Levi-Civita symbols in n dimensions is given later on that page, as a determinant.

The ∑ with i=1 up to 3 as written in the link is for fixed values of j k m and n (so the RHS is a function of j k m and n) … there's no summing over j and k because they're fixed. :wink:

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3
    So then what is the value of the levi-civita symbol then? I only know it to be -1, 1, 0, and I thought you need to know about j and k as well to find it's value?

5. Mar 3, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

?? :confused: if j and k are given, then you do know their values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook