Tungsten coated molybdenum powder

In summary, to find the % mass of tungsten and molybdenum in the powder, you can use the equations M = ρ*V and Mw = 0.468*Mo, where M is the total mass of the powder and Mo is the mass of molybdenum. Then, use the equations %mass(W) = (Mw/M)*100 and %mass(Mo) = (Mo/M)*100 to calculate the % mass of each element.
johnsonb.engr
Hello Everybody,

I would greatly appreciated your help. I have been working this problems for the past couple hours and can't seem to find the answer. I tried Google, and opening up my old textbooks but to no avail. I could really use some help.

I have sample of tungsten coated molybdenum powder. The material is 20% Tungsten by volume and 80 % Molybdenum by weight.

the density of Tungsten = ρw=19.25 g/cm^-3
the density of Molybdenum = ρmo=10.28 g/cm^-3

Obviously ρ=M/V(eqn 1) and Vtotal= Vw + Vmo (eqn 2)

If the material is 20% W by volume, then Vw=0.2*(Vtotal)

Therefore; Vtotal=5Vw

and using eqn 2: 5Vw=Vmo + Vw

4Vw=Vmo

using eqn 1: ρ=M/V; V=M/ρ

And by plunging ρ I obtain,

Vw=Mw/19.25
Vmo=Mmo/10.28

Therefore; 4(Mw/19.25)=Mmo/10.28

Which equals Mw=0.468Mo-------> which makes since because the density of W is ~2x of that of Mo.

However, this is where I am stuck, how do I find the % mass from here using?

FYI...I am trying to solve this theoretically...if this helps the powder I have is 20 % by mass w, has and has an apparent density of 3.0 g.cm^3. Also, when I subjected this powder to a hand held XRF gun, I obtain 94 % Mo and 6 % W.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I understand that the % mass of W should be ~20 %, but I am trying to solve this theoretically and not just use the XRF results.Thanks in advance for your help!</code>Since you already have the apparent density of the powder (3 g/cm^3), you can calculate the total mass of the powder with the equation:M = ρ*VWhere M is the total mass of the powder, ρ is the density, and V is the volume.Once you have the total mass, you can then calculate the individual masses of tungsten and molybdenum with the equation you derived earlier:Mw = 0.468*MoNow you can use these values to calculate the % mass of tungsten and molybdenum in the powder:%mass(W) = (Mw/M)*100%mass(Mo) = (Mo/M)*100

1. What is tungsten coated molybdenum powder?

Tungsten coated molybdenum powder is a type of powder used in various industrial applications, particularly in the production of high-strength and high-temperature materials. It is made up of tiny particles of molybdenum, a silvery-white metal, coated with a layer of tungsten, a dense and durable metal.

2. How is tungsten coated molybdenum powder made?

Tungsten coated molybdenum powder is typically made through a process called chemical vapor deposition (CVD). In this process, a gas containing tungsten and molybdenum atoms is heated and allowed to react on a substrate, forming a coating of tungsten on the molybdenum particles. The particles are then collected and processed into a fine powder.

3. What are the properties of tungsten coated molybdenum powder?

Tungsten coated molybdenum powder has a number of desirable properties, including high strength, high melting point, and good electrical and thermal conductivity. The tungsten coating also adds durability and resistance to corrosion and wear. These properties make it useful in a variety of applications, such as in the aerospace, automotive, and electronics industries.

4. What are the applications of tungsten coated molybdenum powder?

Tungsten coated molybdenum powder is commonly used in the production of high-strength alloys, such as tungsten-molybdenum and tungsten-carbide-molybdenum, which are used in the aerospace and defense industries. It is also used in the production of heating elements and electrical contacts, as well as in the manufacture of electronic components and plasma spray coatings.

5. How is tungsten coated molybdenum powder different from other types of molybdenum powder?

Tungsten coated molybdenum powder differs from other types of molybdenum powder in that it has a layer of tungsten coating on the surface of the molybdenum particles. This provides added strength and durability, as well as improved resistance to corrosion and wear. It is also more expensive than other types of molybdenum powder due to the additional processing required for the tungsten coating.

Back