Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Turbine Engine Questions: Squealer Tips & Classified Weights?

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    I recently saw the terms "Squealer Tips" and "Classified Weights" in a text about turbine blades in an article on the Pratt & Whitney PT6A turbo-prop engine. Can anyone explain what is meant by these two terms? What are they and what do they "do"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2
    I would understand that to mean they got information from people with access to unpublished information, but without the authority or permission to release it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  4. Jul 20, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google will tell you what a squealer tip is. This must be a US term., I never heard of it on my side of the Atlantic. The idea seems to be a leftover from steam turbine design practice.

A classified weight is presumably the weight of something that is classified (i.e commercially confidential, or a military secret) information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook