Investigating Turning Points: What if Every Derivative = 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of turning points and how to classify them using derivatives. The question of what happens if every derivative is 0 is raised, and a specific equation is used as an example. It is determined that x=0 is a minimum point for this equation, but a further discussion ensues about whether this can be proven mathematically and the implications of other possible local minima. The expert summarizer advises to keep in mind the original definitions when finding and classifying extrema.
Owen-
Tried a couple of turning points questions recently, because its going to come up on my course again soon and I was rusty.

Only thing i don't get is: what happens if every derivative is 0? How do you classify the turning point, for example:

f(x) =e^-(1/x)

you can differentiate once and set = to 0 to find a turning point at x=0

However every order after that will =0 when x=0

What do?

Thanks,
Owen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry i didnt mean to say

f(x) =e^-(1/x)

I meant this equation:

[PLAIN]http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP470119d4a2b6bf4c85da00004f4eb393i4c22719?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=57&w=32&h=31

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see the picture :S

Your picture did not load properly. If you meant
[tex]y= e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]
if x is not 0, y(0)= 0, then, yes, that function has every derivative 0 at x= 0. But it is easy to see that if x is not 0, then y> 0 so x= 0 is obviously a minimum point.

Ah thanks! That is the equation i was talking about - don't know what hapened to the picture, sorry - Yea i know you can tell if you look at it, but I am just wondering - is there no mathematical way to prove its a minimum?

What I said before, " But it is easy to see that if x is not 0, then y> 0 so x= 0 is obviously a minimum point." is a perfectly good "mathematical" way!

I see your point, but what if its only a local minimum? Say there was another minimum close to it that was lower. Its not really mathematical if you have to assume that the curve only has one minimum point.

0 is a minimum if and only if [tex]y(0)\leq y(x)[/tex] for all values of x. HallsOfIvy perfectly described why this is true. The existence of other possible local minima is irrelevant, because 0 still has to be a global minimum.

While calculus is convenient for finding and classifying extrema, keep in mind the original definitions because there are other ways of finding that information

1. What is the concept of derivative in mathematics?

The derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In other words, it shows how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. What does it mean if every derivative equals to 0?

If every derivative of a function equals to 0, it means that the function is constant. This means that there is no change in the value of the function at any point along its curve.

3. How does the concept of turning points relate to derivatives?

Turning points, also known as critical points, occur when the derivative of a function is equal to 0. This means that at these points, the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. These points are important in determining the shape and behavior of a function.

4. What can be learned from investigating turning points where every derivative equals to 0?

Investigating turning points where every derivative equals to 0 can provide insights into the behavior of a function, such as the maximum or minimum values, inflection points, and points of intersection with other functions. It can also help in understanding the overall shape and characteristics of a function.

5. How is the concept of turning points used in real-world applications?

The concept of turning points is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, to analyze and predict the behavior of systems. For example, in physics, turning points can indicate the maximum or minimum potential energy of a system, while in economics, they can represent the points where a business reaches its maximum profit or minimum loss.