TV gets lines when I drink water.

In summary, The conversation discusses an issue where pressing the lever to dispense water from a refrigerator causes lines to appear on a nearby television. The group suggests that the issue may be caused by RF interference from the dispensing motor or its control circuitry. It is recommended to use an AC Mains filter to prevent the interference from reaching the TV. The conversation also mentions other possible sources of interference, such as electronic valves and old VW bug ignitions.
mjjstang
HI, first post. I figured I would come to this forum because I need smart people to tell me why this is happening, It is so odd. I have a refrigerator that has water and ice in the door. When I press the lever to dispense water, my television in the same room gets lines on it like a bad signal. I figured maybe it is small vibrations, so I stomped on the floor and nothing. I also turned faucet on and nothing, ONLY when I press the lever to dispense water, will this happen. Anyone know why this goes on. when you press the lever a light bulb goes on, but you can turn the bulb on separate and nothing happens to the tv. Also I plugged a hair dryer into a socket that the tv is on. the hair dryer is very powerful and only tiny tiny pixels distort when it is on. Anybody know what is happening here. The lines go away after split second of pressing the water lever.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds as if the dispensing motor or its control circuitry is generating RF interference. It shouldn't, so there might be a design or manufacturing error involved.

mjjstang said:
The lines go away after split second of pressing the water lever.

What does that mean? The lines only appear for the first split second of you holding down the cold water dispenser button? I agree with Danger that it sounds like a pump motor interference problem -- likely just on startup?

Look at your local Radio Shack (or equivalent) store for a TV interference AC Mains filter, and plug your refrigerator into the wall through that filter. That should help to keep the conducted emissions problem of the cold water pump from reaching your TV.

Like this $10USD item: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...7&kwCatId=2032057&kw=filter&parentPage=search

I don't think a pump is invovled, just an electronic valve. It would seem that when the ice maker goes through a fill cycle, that a similar electronic valve would operate and should cause the same issue.

All sorts of things are known to create RF interference that does pretty much what you describe. One source in particular that is a great annoyance to me is our next door neighbour's motorbike. As Danger pointed out, most devices aren't supposed to.

Be glad you weren't around when the original VW bugs were. The ignitions on those damned things would screw up a TV from over half a mile away.

What causes the lines on my TV when I drink water?

The most likely cause of this issue is electromagnetic interference. This can occur when the electrical currents from your TV and the water in your glass interact, causing disruptions in the signal and resulting in lines on the screen.

Is this a common problem?

Yes, this is a common issue that many people experience. It is more likely to occur with older, analog TVs, but can also happen with newer digital TVs.

Can it be fixed?

In most cases, yes. You can try moving your TV and water source further apart to reduce the interference. You can also try using a filter on your water source to help reduce the electrical currents. If the problem persists, it may be helpful to consult a professional.

Does the type of water make a difference?

Yes, the type of water can affect the level of interference. Distilled water, which has a lower mineral content, is less likely to cause lines on the TV compared to tap water.

Can this interfere with other electronic devices?

Yes, it is possible for this interference to affect other electronic devices, such as radios or speakers, in addition to your TV. It is important to keep your TV and water source at a safe distance from other electronics to prevent this from happening.