TV: The Big Bang Theory fans!

1. As everyone here is into physics in some shape or form, I am sure everyone has at least heard of The Big Bang Theory by now. So, what is everyone's thoughts on the show? Do you like it, love it, gotta have it? Who is everyone's favorite character, or favorite episode? Let's talk about the geekiest (and one of the best) shows airing now :)

2. jcsd
  3. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of people were insisting that I watch this. I have only seen a few episodes but they were funny at times. A buddy bought the series and is mailing the discs to me. Netflix has it but it has been backordered for weeks.

Best line so far [1st or 2nd episode]: We could tell her that we were masturbating for money.

That one had me laughing out loud.

4. If it wasn't for the obnoxious laugh track, it wouldn't be so bad.

5. Do you mean the live audience it's taped in front of?

You can actually go buy tickets to watch the filming in person, you know.

6. I've only seen the show once or twice and it sounded like a laugh track. Let me rephrase.

If it wasn't for the obnoxious laughing audience, it wouldn't be so bad.

7. Yes that line is funny, and it is from the pilot :) But my favorite quote so far is "Gravity, thou art a heartless *****."

And as for the laughing audience, I have never found it annoying. Then again, I am used to sitcom comedies with the audience laughing in the background.

8. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I watched all the episodes so far.

Great show. I watch it everynight.

Sheldon is my favourite character and then it's Howard.

9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was another scene that had me laughing esp because I have seen ~ the same discussions here a number of times. Sheldon and Leonard are riding in a car... I thiink going out to dinner, when Sheldon suggests playing some kind of "name that scientist" game. What was funny was the complex set of rules and guidelines quickly blurted out.

I'm not much of one for stereotypes, esp when it comes to geeks :biggrin:, but that was dead on! You could have probably taken the script from a PF post.

10. Yes Sheldon is big on rules and guidelines. He also added on Lizard and Spock to the game Rock Paper Scissors. The show is funny because it is oh so true :) And of course because Jim Parsons plays Sheldon so brilliantly.

11. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I actually rank Big Bang Theory higher than Seinfeld.

The show is also having good success in China.

12. And yes, The Big Bang Theory takes the top spot as my favorite sitcom (my favorite before was That '70s Show). It keeps getting better with each episode.

And China? Really? That's surprisingly good to hear...

13. I absolutelly love this show :biggrin: Can't seem to get enough of it.

My favorite character is either Penny (being that I can totally relate to her) or Sheldon (he is just too cute and the right amount of geek :wink:)

14. I hate that show. Every time I look for new torrents on a site like the pirate bay I always see a highly seeded torrent with the words big bang theory in the title and i get really excited, thinking that someone has made a new science special about the big bang. So, without looking at the description I download it and then find out it's a stupid sitcom. The writing also stinks.

15. Unfortunately I only saw the pilot, but it seemed like a pretty decent show. Granted, it's nothing like how real physicists behave, but I suppose the medical doctors have the same problem with House. In case I ever want to catch up, how many seasons are there by now?

16. You appear to be a special kind of person.

Sheldon has to be my favorite character. Every time I watch the show, I wonder if I am a few geeky friends and a few IQ points away from observing my life.

17. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,081
    Gold Member

My wife started watching the show. I hated it because Johnny Galecki, (AKA the boyfriend in Roseanne)'s charcater Leonard was far too sitcomish for me - in a Steve Erkle kind of way.

Despite my best efforts, BBT grew on me because it is so hilarious.

Now, everytime I laugh out loud at it, she barks at me: "Don't laugh! It's not funny!"

18. Watched it several times now. Absolutely enjoy most of the episodes.

19. I have never before heard a single mention of this show, anywhere.

Perhaps I have led a sheltered life.

20. I love the show, luckily they do some research, and make references to real principles in physics. I was sold since the pilot, when they were discussing the potential offspring from their masturbating for money venture. Sheldon, had the objection that it was fraud, since they wouldn't be guaranteed a child with a high IQ. He said something to the effect
    "What if they don't know where to use a derivative or integral to find the area under a curve"
    "I'm sure they will still love him"
    "I wouldn't"

21. Could u recommend an episode to start with?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted