What Are the Odds That the Big Bang Theory is Wrong?

• Thread starter Curtisc
  • Start date
In summary, the Big Bang theory is the prevailing explanation for the origin of the universe, but it is not without its critics and alternative theories. While there is significant evidence supporting the Big Bang, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed expansion of the universe, there are also unresolved issues and inconsistencies that leave room for doubt. Some scientists propose alternative theories, such as the Steady State theory, which suggest that the universe has always existed and is continuously expanding. Ultimately, the true odds of the Big Bang theory being wrong are difficult to determine, but it remains a subject of ongoing debate and research in the field of cosmology.
Curtisc
Hi Everyone,

Always loved physics. The superset of sciences. I loved Stephen Hawking's description of a good theory in aBHoT, which must have been over 30 years ago now. Everyone can explain the past a million ways, simple testable predictions about the future observations.

I think the Big Bang Theory is the most disgraceful anti-science repeat of the 24 chromosome train wreck. Every prediction fails, every adjustable parameter added is supporting evidence the theory is dead. In a Universe where we don't understand gravity at great distance, what are the odds the microwave background and observed red shifts are not features of an expansion and simply to do with our missing something local that is harming the way we understand the Copernican principle? The latest s-show is galactic magnetic fields. Supermassive black holes appear to be in the genesis of galaxies. So do the fields. What are the odds they are related?

Greatest man of physics I ever met was Douglas Adams who signed my program after his lecture on dolphins at the British Association Science Festival in 1991. I was 16. I went to three lectures including his. Partied hard the rest of the time. Douglas was most know for books and radio. Already a tall man, he looked ten feet tall when this eager 16 year old asked for his autograph while hailing a taxi. God rest his soul.

Studied medicine, hated it. Computer science degree, probably across metrics I'm tied for top of the food chain in Enterprise Architecture in the UK from failing fast and often early. Also from contract 9 months out of university and talking my way into an architect role after three years. Good Times. Thirteen years in Auckland chasing Kiwi girls and been back in Angleterre 6 years.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

CC

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

An awesome life summary so far.

Please take some time to read our site guidelines as we are a highly moderated site and don't discuss fringe science, personal theories, or speculation. Our main mission is to explain STEM subjects when students have problems.

Likes pinball1970, Curtisc, Evo and 1 other person
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

An awesome life summary so far.

Please take some time to read our site guidelines as we are a highly moderated site and don't discuss fringe science, personal theories, or speculation. Our main mission is to explain STEM subjects when students have problems.
100% with you. I studied math, chemistry and biology A-level, my degree is computer science and I have 23 years commercial experience in IT, currently managing director of a consultancy offering enterprise architecture services at scale. I've been trying to buy the lifetime Gold membership, since the site is absolutely a brilliant thing to offer those who need it, just need PayPal to recognise my number change. I'm tutoring my son through his A-level equivs, he's studying in NZ. While in tutor mode... thx

I'm going to point to the relevant bit of the guidelines, given what you wrote in your second paragraph:
Non-mainstream theories:
Generally, in the forums we do not allow the following:
  • Challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.) that go beyond current professional discussion
So maybe put off shelling out any cash in support of the forum until you're sure it's the place for you.

Likes jedishrfu
Bandersnatch said:
I'm going to point to the relevant bit of the guidelines, given what you wrote in your second paragraph:

So maybe put off shelling out any cash in support of the forum until you're sure it's the place for you.
Thank you for message. I can respect this in discussion. It was my understanding that it was a personal comment section to introduce myself. I'm shocked by this attitude to a personal statement, something the Nazi would do.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Curtisc said:
Thank you for message. I can respect this in discussion. It was my understanding that it was a personal comment section to introduce myself. I'm shocked by this attitude to a personal statement, something the Nazi would do.
5 posts to Godwin must be close to record but I've only been on the site 6 years.
Introduction is fine, speculation is off limits. Plenty going on in mainstream physics to keep you happy though.

Curtisc said:
Playing the Nazi card already? That does not bode well. Thread is closed.

• Sad
Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and development of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling over the past 13.8 billion years.

2. How do scientists support the Big Bang Theory?

Scientists support the Big Bang Theory through a variety of evidence, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the redshift of galaxies. These observations are consistent with the predictions of the Big Bang Theory.

3. What are the main criticisms of the Big Bang Theory?

Some of the main criticisms of the Big Bang Theory include the lack of an explanation for what caused the initial singularity, the inability to fully explain the observed distribution of matter in the universe, and the need for additional theories, such as inflation, to address certain observations.

4. Are there any alternative theories to the Big Bang?

Yes, there are alternative theories to the Big Bang, such as the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory. However, these theories have not been supported by as much evidence as the Big Bang Theory and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. Could new evidence or discoveries disprove the Big Bang Theory?

Yes, it is possible that new evidence or discoveries could challenge or even disprove the Big Bang Theory. However, as of now, the theory remains the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and development of the universe and has withstood many challenges and tests over the years.