Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two body decay and momentum

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am learning about analysing particles decaying and am on this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_decay

Under the 'Two body decay' subsection, there is a description of the momentum of particles 1 and 2 from the rest frame of the parent particle.

I have two questions, firstly, it states that the momentum of particle 1 is equal to the momentum of particle 2, is this always the case? If they are of different mass I would have thought the momentums might be different as well.

Secondly, they state the equation for the momentum of particle 1 (or 2) in terms of the masses of all particles involved. I'm assuming they derived this from the equations mentioned in the preceding section about four momentum, but I cannot see how they have got that final result. When I try to dervie the momentum of particle 1 (or 2), using the results from the preceding section, I end up with: p_1 = sqrt[m_parent^2 + m_2^2 - m_1^2 -m_2\ 2m_parent].

Is anyone able to explain where they got that result from?
    Any help greatly appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2
    In two-body decays, the momenta of the two decay products are always equal and opposite in the center of mass (CM) system of the decaying particle:
    (pc)2 = E2 - (mc2)2.
    Lorentz transformations to the lab system are performed using the transformation in Section 37.1 of

Two-particle dacays are specifically discussed in Section 37.4.1

Bob S
  4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the link. Equation 37.16 is the one that I was having trouble with, and apologies for my ignorance but I still don't see how they arrived at that formula?

If p= E-m, then how do they arrive at that equation? I'm guessing the square root has something to do with getting the magnitude of the p vector, but where do those two terms in the square root come from?
  5. Sep 12, 2010 #4
    Look at Equations (14) and (15) in

Bob S
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook