Analysis of 2 body decay kinematics

In summary: Thanks for the link. Equation 37.16 is the one that I was having trouble with, and apologies for my ignorance but I still don't see how they arrived at that formula? If p= E-m, then how do they arrive at that equation? I'm guessing the square root has something to do with getting the magnitude of the p vector, but where do those two terms in the square root come from?
planesinspace
Hi, I am learning about analysing particles decaying and am on this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_decay

Under the 'Two body decay' subsection, there is a description of the momentum of particles 1 and 2 from the rest frame of the parent particle.

I have two questions, firstly, it states that the momentum of particle 1 is equal to the momentum of particle 2, is this always the case? If they are of different mass I would have thought the momentums might be different as well.

Secondly, they state the equation for the momentum of particle 1 (or 2) in terms of the masses of all particles involved. I'm assuming they derived this from the equations mentioned in the preceding section about four momentum, but I cannot see how they have got that final result. When I try to dervie the momentum of particle 1 (or 2), using the results from the preceding section, I end up with: p_1 = sqrt[m_parent^2 + m_2^2 - m_1^2 -m_2\ 2m_parent].

Is anyone able to explain where they got that result from?
Any help greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
In two-body decays, the momenta of the two decay products are always equal and opposite in the center of mass (CM) system of the decaying particle:
(pc)2 = E2 - (mc2)2.
Lorentz transformations to the lab system are performed using the transformation in Section 37.1 of

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2002/kinemarpp.pdf

Two-particle dacays are specifically discussed in Section 37.4.1

Bob S

Thanks for the link. Equation 37.16 is the one that I was having trouble with, and apologies for my ignorance but I still don't see how they arrived at that formula?

If p= E-m, then how do they arrive at that equation? I'm guessing the square root has something to do with getting the magnitude of the p vector, but where do those two terms in the square root come from?

planesinspace said:
Thanks for the link. Equation 37.16 is the one that I was having trouble with, and apologies for my ignorance but I still don't see how they arrived at that formula?

If p= E-m, then how do they arrive at that equation? I'm guessing the square root has something to do with getting the magnitude of the p vector, but where do those two terms in the square root come from?
Look at Equations (14) and (15) in

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...TC6ZYE&usg=AFQjCNFB_gFuNy0JYBlOZEzYMSSjBvxBwg

Bob S

1. What is a two body decay?

A two body decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a parent particle decays into two smaller daughter particles.

2. How does momentum play a role in two body decay?

Momentum is always conserved in a two body decay, meaning that the total momentum of the parent particle must equal the total momentum of the two daughter particles.

3. What is the relationship between the masses of the parent and daughter particles in a two body decay?

The masses of the daughter particles will always be less than the mass of the parent particle, as some mass is converted to energy during the decay process.

4. Can the momentum of the daughter particles ever be greater than the momentum of the parent particle?

No, momentum must be conserved in a two body decay, meaning that the total momentum of the daughter particles cannot exceed that of the parent particle.

5. How is the momentum of the daughter particles related to the angle at which they are emitted?

The momentum of the daughter particles is dependent on the angle at which they are emitted, with higher angles resulting in higher momentum values. This is due to the conservation of momentum in the decay process.