Two Compressed Springs -> Unstable Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation is about a system with two identical springs and a natural length that is longer than the distance between the two springs. The problem is to prove that the system is unstable, and the solution involves calculating the potential energy and determining the net force if the midpoint is displaced upwards.
brentd49
I will make a crude visualization of this system:

|-------------O--------------|
<-----a------><------a------>

Identical springs: k1=k2=k
Natural Length: l > a

The problem is to prove that the system is unstable.

Obviously, a slight movement directed off the horizontal axis will cause the springs to unstretch to a natural position vertically above or below the current position. The setup is arranged on a frictionless horizontal table.
I know that the second derivative of the potential energy will tell me about the stability, so I am trying to write down the potential energy. My problem is how to write down the 'x' for the two springs, i.e.

[tex] U(x) = \frac{1}{2} k x^2_1 + \frac{1}{2} k x^2_2 , x_1=x_2[/tex]
[tex] U(x) = k x^2 [/tex]

I suppose it is just a geometry question, but I'm not sure to find that compressed length [tex]x[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
^bump

Let's say that the 'midpoint' is displaced upwards by some distance [itex]d[/itex]. Can you calculate the length the springs would have then?

so, if I take my orgin at the far left, with [tex]l_o[/tex] the natural length.

[tex]x = l_f - l_o [/tex]
[tex]x = \sqrt{a^2 + d^2} - l_o [/tex]

so, now I need to replace d, right?

[tex]d = \sqrt{(l_o + x)^2 - a^2} [/tex]

but that can't be right, because I would have [tex] x = x(x) [/tex]. I must be missing something.

Last edited:
anyone.............

Presumably if the net force is greater than zero, in either up or down then the system is unstable.

What is the net force if O is displaced upward by d?

If the springs were constrained in the horizontal, then one could establish an equation for SHM with one spring a+x(t) and the other a-x(t).

1. What is the concept of "Two Compressed Springs -> Unstable Equilibrium"?

The concept of "Two Compressed Springs -> Unstable Equilibrium" refers to a situation where two springs are compressed or compressed at the same time, causing a state of unstable equilibrium. In this state, the springs are exerting equal and opposite forces on each other, and any small disturbance can cause the system to become unbalanced and move in an unpredictable manner.

2. How does the instability of this equilibrium occur?

The instability of this equilibrium occurs due to the potential energy stored in the compressed springs. When the springs are compressed, they store potential energy, and when released, this energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the system to move in an unpredictable manner.

3. What factors affect the instability of this equilibrium?

There are several factors that can affect the instability of this equilibrium. These include the initial compression of the springs, the stiffness of the springs, and the mass of the objects attached to the springs. The greater the compression, stiffness, and mass, the higher the potential energy stored, and the more unstable the equilibrium becomes.

4. Can the instability of this equilibrium be controlled?

No, the instability of this equilibrium cannot be controlled. Once the springs are compressed and released, the system will move in an unpredictable manner due to the stored potential energy. However, it can be reduced by minimizing the compression, stiffness, and mass of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Two Compressed Springs -> Unstable Equilibrium"?

This concept can be seen in many real-world applications, such as in car suspension systems, shock absorbers, and pogo sticks. In these systems, the compression of springs provides a cushioning effect, but if the compression is too great, the system can become unstable and unpredictable. It is also used in various mechanical and engineering designs to create controlled movement and energy storage.