1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Compressed Springs -> Unstable Equilibrium

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    I will make a crude visualization of this system:

|-------------O--------------|
    <-----a------><------a------>

Identical springs: k1=k2=k
    Natural Length: l > a

The problem is to prove that the system is unstable.

Obviously, a slight movement directed off the horizontal axis will cause the springs to unstretch to a natural position vertically above or below the current position. The setup is arranged on a frictionless horizontal table.
    I know that the second derivative of the potential energy will tell me about the stability, so I am trying to write down the potential energy. My problem is how to write down the 'x' for the two springs, i.e.

[tex] U(x) = \frac{1}{2} k x^2_1 + \frac{1}{2} k x^2_2 , x_1=x_2[/tex]
    [tex] U(x) = k x^2 [/tex]

I suppose it is just a geometry question, but I'm not sure to find that compressed length [tex]x[/tex].

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2
    ^bump

4. Nov 18, 2005 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's say that the 'midpoint' is displaced upwards by some distance [itex]d[/itex]. Can you calculate the length the springs would have then?

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4
    so, if I take my orgin at the far left, with [tex]l_o[/tex] the natural length.

[tex]x = l_f - l_o [/tex]
    [tex]x = \sqrt{a^2 + d^2} - l_o [/tex]

so, now I need to replace d, right?

[tex]d = \sqrt{(l_o + x)^2 - a^2} [/tex]

but that can't be right, because I would have [tex] x = x(x) [/tex]. I must be missing something.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  6. Nov 19, 2005 #5
    anyone.......................................................................

7. Nov 19, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Presumably if the net force is greater than zero, in either up or down then the system is unstable.

What is the net force if O is displaced upward by d?

If the springs were constrained in the horizontal, then one could establish an equation for SHM with one spring a+x(t) and the other a-x(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?