Chemistry Beginner's Guide: Math & Book Recommendations

• Thread starter stochastic
  • Start date
In summary: it covers a lot of material, is well-organized, and is not dry. it's not a textbook for a graduate-level course in chemistry, but it's perfect for someone who is not familiar with the subject matter and wants to be able to follow along. if you're looking for a more in-depth treatment, try an undergrad-level chemistry book.
stochastic
I am thinking about taking chemistry and I really know very little about it :[

1. Is there a form of math commonly used throughout chemistry that I should become competent in?

2. What is a good book(about chemistry) that starts out using more basic terms that a newb can understand? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
there is very simple math involved in chem unless u go into radioactivity calculations and finding half life sort of things
then u need some log knowledge

You should be fully competent in Algebra, assuming that this is a Honors Chemistry class. A.P Chem didn't involve anything more than Algebra 2. Is this an Honors class?

i have not gone as far as choosing a class. i want to get a book first. suggestions?

stochastic said:
I am thinking about taking chemistry and I really know very little about it :[

1. Is there a form of math commonly used throughout chemistry that I should become competent in?

2. What is a good book(about chemistry) that starts out using more basic terms that a newb can understand? :)

1. Ratios, Proportions, and Intermediate Algebra.

2. Any identifiable "Elementary" Chemistry book; if you are capable of handling something a little more advanced, then any General Chemistry book.

thanks a lot ^_^ !

If you go to university to study chemistry you're going to need to be competent at goniometry, calculus, vectors etc. and matrices ;)

Get a good college algebra book, one that deals with lots of graphs, then get a good general chemistry book, it's likely to be very thick if it's intended for use over 2 semesters of general chemistry.

General chemistry is 1/2 vocabulary, 1/4 math(95% algebra), and 1/4 faith:biggrin:. I say that because professors and the people who write general chem books know that you are not likely to have the background in mathematics and physics to understand where the formulas and theories come from. So when they tell you that you can get a linear relationship by multiplying by a certain constant, just take it on faith, memorize the constant, and plug and chug. Professors love to make test questions harder by playing with the vocabulary. Read the questions very carefully, general chem is so straight forward that sometimes the only way to make a problem hard is to play with the wording.

kdinser said:
Get a good college algebra book, one that deals with lots of graphs, then get a good general chemistry book, it's likely to be very thick if it's intended for use over 2 semesters of general chemistry.

General chemistry is so stupid

corrected for reality

i used "the complete idiot's guide to chemistry" before i took chem 1 at my college and was, on the whole, pleased with it.

1. What are the main topics covered in this beginner's guide to chemistry?

The main topics covered in this beginner's guide to chemistry include basic mathematical concepts and calculations used in chemistry, an overview of the periodic table, and recommended books for further study.

2. How does math play a role in chemistry?

Math is an essential tool in chemistry as it is used to perform calculations and solve problems related to chemical reactions, concentrations, and measurements.

3. What are some recommended books for beginners in chemistry?

Some recommended books for beginners in chemistry include "Chemistry Essentials for Dummies" by John T. Moore and "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Theodore L. Brown.

4. Are there any online resources mentioned in this guide?

Yes, this guide includes links to online resources such as Khan Academy and Chem LibreTexts, which offer free educational materials and tutorials on chemistry and math concepts.

5. Is this guide suitable for all ages and levels of chemistry knowledge?

While this guide is primarily aimed at beginners in chemistry, it can be useful for all ages and levels of knowledge. It covers fundamental concepts and provides resources for further learning, making it a valuable reference for anyone interested in chemistry.