Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two functions having the same areas x to dx

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Hi I have been thinking about an idea I have involving calculus that I think someone here can help me with. Is there a way you can determine a simple function (like f(x)=Ax) that has the same area dA from X to dX as another complicated function like f(x)=x^2. If you refer to the two attachments to this post you will see two graphs of two functions f(x)=X^2 and f(x)=Ax. The area under the curve of both functions from x=0 to x=2 are equal. My question is how can we determine the value of the variable A in the function f(x)=Ax if these conditions are to be satisfied. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF,

Simple: Integrate both functions between the same two limits and set them equal. You should them be able to determine the value of your coefficient. Indefinite integration returns the area bounded by the curve, the limits and [in this case] the x-axis.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. Calculate each of the integrals, with "A" an as yet undetermined constant.
    2. The requirement that these two integrals, i.e areas, gives you an equation you may solve for A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?