1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two functions involving derivatives

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data let f be a ffunction for which f(2)=-3 and f'(x)=square root of (x^2+5) if g(x)= x^2*f(x/(x-1)), what is g'(2)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solutioni am almost positive that i need to find the opposite of derivative (antiderivative?) for f'(x), so i can find f(x) and then substitute that into g(x) to find g'(x). however. i'm not sure how to do antiderivatives. i think it is something like square root of "?" +5x, but i don't know what the antideravitive of x^2 is. i would have guessed x^3, but that would yeild 3x^2 instead of x^2.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2
    You can integrate to find f then use f(2) =-3 to find the integration constant. Then just substitute 2 in the derative of g.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    Umm... if you don't mid, could you try to explaint to me what the intergration method is. i don't think i've heard of it. either that or i have forgotten it. is it dealing with algebra or calculus?

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or, if you don't like integrating (or don't know what it is), you can just use the chain rule to write down the derivative of g and plug in x = -2.
    Since you only do one derivation you will only get stuff with f(-2) and f'(-2), both of which you know.

dirk's method also works but I don't see the need to find f(x) first.

6. Oct 7, 2008 #5
    but in order to find g(x), don't i have to find f(x)? since f(x) is in the function of g(x)? maybe that's what you were saying at the end of your explination, but i don't really understand it.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose you were given h(x)=2f(x) taking the derivative of that would give you h'(x)=2f'(x) would it not? Similarly, if you were given h(x)=3f(3x^2) you would get h'(x)=3f'(3x^2)*(6x). So as long as you know f', you don't need to know f in order to determine g'.

8. Oct 7, 2008 #7
    ok, so i think i know what your'e saying. so in my problem, would i end up with g'(x) = 2x*f'(-1/(x-1)^2)? then plug in 2 for all x's to get g'(2)!?!?!

9. Oct 7, 2008 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

abbykeck: Please check your Personal Messages immediately.

10. Oct 7, 2008 #9
    :redface:Uh oh... secret's out, yeah, i didn't realize i couldn't have multiple accounts. so "abbykeck" is technically still online...:blushing:

11. Oct 7, 2008 #10

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, something like that. I mean: the approach is all right, but I don't really think you did the derivation well. You will need both the product rule and the chain rule!

12. Oct 7, 2008 #11
    wha am i using the chain rule for? the f(x/(x-1))? the product rule would be for x^2 and whatever that chain rule produces, correct? i'll try it out...

13. Oct 7, 2008 #12

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

g(x) is of the form a(x)*b(y(x))
    so
    g'(x) = a'(x) b(y(x)) + a(x) b'(y(x))
    where you need the chain rule for b'(y(x)) = d/dx b(y(x))

14. Oct 7, 2008 #13
    g'(x)=2x(f(x/(x-1))+x^2(f(-1/(x-1)^2))?

15. Oct 7, 2008 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your first term is right, but you've incorrectly taken the derivative of f(x/(x-1)). Remember, the chain rule gives:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} f(u)=f'(u) \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

In your case, [itex] u=\frac{x}{x-1}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?