Two moving cars (Kinematics problem)

In summary, in order to prevent a collision between two cars, A and B, traveling in the same direction with velocities vA and vB, where car A is initially at a distance d behind car B and car A applies brakes causing a deceleration a, it is necessary that vA - vB is less than the square root of 2ad. This condition ensures that there is enough time for car A to come to a complete stop before colliding with car B. Another approach to this problem is to assume that the front car is stationary, simplifying the equation and making it easier to solve for the time of collision.
Adjoint

Homework Statement

Two cars, A and B are traveling in same direction with velocities vA and vB. When car A is distance d behind car B, the breaks on A are applied, causing a deceleration a. Show that to prevent a collision between A and B, it is necessary that, vA - vB < [itex]\sqrt{2ad}[/itex]

Homework Equations

1D kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose at the moment car A starts acceleration, it is at the origin, then car B is at x = d.
After time t, car A has position vAt - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2
Then car B has the position vBt + d

Now, to avoid collision, vBt + d > vAt - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2
→ vA - vB < [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at + [itex]\frac{d}{t}[/itex]

Now I have to remove t from this equation.
Any help please?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adjoint said:
Two cars, A and B are traveling in same direction with velocities vA and vB. When car A is distance d behind car B, the breaks on A are applied, causing a deceleration a. Show that to prevent a collision between A and B, it is necessary that, vA - vB < [itex]\sqrt{2ad}[/itex]

If the car A is behind the car B, then how can it cause a collision when the brakes of A are applied?

adjacent said:
If the car A is behind the car B, then how can it cause a collision when the brakes of A are applied?

Well, I think there can be a collision if car A was moving with a much higher velocity than car B. So even after being behind and applying break, it might hit car B.

Last edited:
Try to solve for the time at which the collision will occur.

Adjoint said:
vBt + d > vAt - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2
→ vA - vB < [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at + [itex]\frac{d}{t}[/itex]

I can solve the time of collision by taking this inequality as an equality. Is that what you mean?

Adjoint said:
I can solve the time of collision by taking this inequality as an equality. Is that what you mean?

Yes, solve for the time of collision and figure out what condition must be satisfied in order for a solution to exist. If a solution does not exist then the collision doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Adjoint said:
Well, I think there can be a collision if car A was moving with a much higher velocity than car B. So even after being behind and applying break, it might hit car B.
Oh, that. :shy:
Yeah, it is possible. :shy:

dauto said:
Yes, solve for the time of collision and figure out what condition must be satisfied in order for a solution to exist. If a solution does not exist than the collision doesn't happen.

Thanks!

We have, vBt + d = vAt - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2
→ [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2 + (vB - vA)t + d = 0
Solving for t,
t = [itex]\frac{-(v_B - v_A) \pm \sqrt{(v_B - v_A)^2 - 4.\frac{1}{2}ad}}{2.\frac{1}{2}at^2}[/itex]
If we want a solution not to exist then (vB - vA)2 - 2ad < 0
→ (vB - vA)2 < 2ad

Now we know if x ≤ y then √x ≤ √y if both x, y ≥ 0
As there is a chance of two cars to collide we must assume vA > vB

So to take square root on both side we rearrange the equation as
(vA - vB)2 < 2ad
→ vA - vB < √(2ad)

adjacent said:
Oh, that. :shy:
Yeah, it is possible. :shy:

At first, I also thought how can there be a collision?
But later I also had this Oh! I see moment. :tongue2:

Good job with the solution. Note that there is another approach that is arguably easier.

Nothing in the situation depends on the speed of the cars relative to the road. All that matters is their velocity, distance and acceleration relative to each other.

So make your job easy -- assume that the front car is stationary. Now the equation is simple.

I hadn't thought this way but now I see that can be another approach. Thank you.

1. How do I calculate the distance between two cars?

To calculate the distance between two moving cars, you will need to know the initial positions of both cars, their velocities, and the time elapsed. Use the formula: distance = (initial position of car B - initial position of car A) + (velocity of car A x time) + (velocity of car B x time). This will give you the distance between the two cars at the given time.

2. Can I use the same formula for calculating the distance if the cars are moving in different directions?

Yes, the formula for calculating the distance between two moving cars remains the same even if they are moving in different directions. However, you will need to consider the direction of the cars when determining the initial positions and velocities in the formula.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a kinematics problem?

Speed refers to the rate of motion of an object without considering direction, while velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of the object's motion. In a kinematics problem, velocity is usually used to describe the movement of objects since direction is an important factor to consider.

4. How can I determine the acceleration of a car in a kinematics problem?

To determine the acceleration of a car, you will need to know the change in velocity and the time elapsed. Use the formula: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. This will give you the acceleration of the car at the given time.

5. What is the significance of kinematics in real-world applications?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its causes, and it is essential in understanding and predicting the movement of objects in the real world. It is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports, to analyze and improve the performance of machines, design structures, and enhance athletic performance, among others.