Two Objects, Acceleration is Given, Find Tension of rope on frictionless pulley

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
spacewrangler
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Picture has two objects, one on top of the other - the bottom object has a mass of 8 kg. The top object has a mass of 4 kg. The coefficient of friction between bottom object and floor is 0.3. The coefficient of friction between the two objects is 0.2. Acceleration is 4 m/s2. A rope is on a pulley starting from bottom box, thru top box. What is Tension?

I have been working on this problem for about two hours. I've found normal force and frictional force for both objects... every problem I've found similar on the internet solves for acceleration... but acceleration is given in this case. Please help find T1.

Must turn in by 4:45. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm extremely frustrated.

-KL
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi spacewrangler ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(4:45 which time-zone?)

Sorry, I don't understand what the rope and pulley are doing …

where is the pulley, which direction is the rope going either side of the pulley, and how does the rope avoid obstructing the top box? :confused: