Two Point Charges Net Electric Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
Octoshark
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two point charges lie on the x axis. A charge of -2.5 µC is at the origin, and a charge of +8.5 µC is at x = 10.0 cm.

What is the net electrical field at points x = +4 and at x = -4?

Homework Equations



E = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution



For x = +4...

E= 9x10^9(8.5x10^-6)/.06^2 = 21250000
E= 9x10^9(-2.5x10^-6)/.04^2 = -14062500

Net E = 7187500 (which is wrong)

How do I solve this? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
use absolute values for charges and then add/subtract them up qualitatively.

the -2.5uC will make the E field LARGER at point x=+4 so you would add it instead of subtract.
 
I'm pretty sure it should work. What's the correct answer for both positions?
 
It doesn't give me the right answer until I submit the right answer. I entered 35312500 for x = +4 and it says that is incorrect. (I submit the answers online)
 
theRIAA said:
the answer is 3.5*10^7 after sig figs.

It says that is wrong too