Two positively charged plates : interaction force

In summary, when two plates with charges Q each bear an electric field, the electric field outside the plates is Q/2Ae0 while the energy stored is conserved. However, if we move a plate, the field begins trailing off at a different point and the energy stored outside each plate is conserved.
Perpendicular
Hello,

I am facing a paradox, well it seems like one, resolving the interaction force between two equally charged plates each bearing a positive charge. Let us assume this as Q, and plates having area A.

On one hand , we can claim the force = Q^2/2Ae0 where e0 is the vacuum permittivity, as each plate bears a charge Q and generates a field Q/2Ae0 at points not too far off from itself or close to the edges.

But, if we look at the energy stored, I am getting a very different result. There is no field in the region between the two plates so the energy field density 1/2e0(E^2) is zero. Outside the plates, the electric field will remain ~ Q/2Ae0 from each plate, totalling Q/Ae0 at first and then begin trailing off as we go farther and farther. Eventually it will trail off completely. So if we move a plate, this trailing off merely starts at a different point and the net energy stored outside each plate is conserved. Hence energy is a constant therefore F = -dE/dr = zero. I can't accept this logically but neglecting the fringe field, this seems to imply some sort of internal screening of charges.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no field in the region between the two plates...
How do you figure that?

Because at points not too far off to the edge, or corners, the field due to each plate can be approximated as charge density/2e0. They act in opposite directions.

I now realize though, this probably implies the fringe field is non-negligible in this case..

Oh I see, you wanted to make an approximation for the case that the dimensions of the sheets are very large compared with their separation - the infinite sheet approximation?

To use Gausses Law and F=qE ideas, each distribution of charge moves in the potential due to the other charges.

So each plate feels the force due to the field due to the other plate alone.
You appear to have been combining the fields in your arguments.

When in doubt though: return to Coulomb's law.

I know that each plate feels the field due to the other plate alone. I just want to derive that via energy stored in the electric field, and this seems to be impossible without the fringe field which is in turn very hard to numerically figure out. Ignoring it, I get F = zero which is absurd.

Well yes - the shortcut you tried (via energy density between the plates) (a) combines the fields, and (b) relies on the infinite sheet approximation ... which is not valid when the separation is comparable to or bigger than the dimensions of the sheets - which is what happens for the stored energy calculation since the sheets start at infinite separation.

What is the interaction force between two positively charged plates?

The interaction force between two positively charged plates is known as the electrostatic force. It is a force that arises due to the attraction or repulsion between charged particles.

How is the interaction force between two positively charged plates calculated?

The interaction force between two positively charged plates can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges on the plates and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Can the interaction force between two positively charged plates be attractive?

Yes, the interaction force between two positively charged plates can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the magnitude and sign of the charges on the plates.

What factors affect the interaction force between two positively charged plates?

The interaction force between two positively charged plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between them, and the medium between the plates. It is also influenced by the presence of other charges or materials in the vicinity.

How does the interaction force between two positively charged plates change with distance?

The interaction force between two positively charged plates decreases as the distance between them increases, according to the inverse square law. This means that the force between the plates becomes weaker as they are moved further apart.