Two Probability Questions pls

In summary, for the first question, we are using the binomial distribution and the probability of more than 4 tires being defective is equal to the probability of less than 5 tires being okay, which is equal to the sum of probabilities for 0-4 tires being okay. For the second question, we can use a Venn diagram to calculate the probability of a student passing math and failing English, which is equal to 12% of the total number of students.
mooch
the question is.
5% of tires are defective. There are 200 tires. Probability more than 4 are defected.

2nd question is.
At a university, 90% of students pass math, 85% pass english, and 78% pass both. What are the odds in favor of a student passing math and failing english.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on solving the problem? You have to post your work if you want help.

for the first question i know we are using the binomial distribution and that if i did it the long way i would have to add up all the cases from 5-200. this would take to long.

What i have come up with is using

1- 200C5x(0.05^5)x(0.95^195) (1- 5 tires are defected)
= 0.9641

mooch said:
the question is.
5% of tires are defective. There are 200 tires. Probability more than 4 are defected.

What about

"Probability more than 4 are defected" = "Probability less then 5 are OK"

And

"Probability less then 5 are OK" = "Probability exactly 4 are OK" + "Probability exactly 3 are OK" + "Probability exactly 2 are OK" + "Probability exactly 1 is OK" + "Probability exactly 0 is OK"

:smile:

Your idea for the first question is correct, but you have only taken the probability for exactly five bulbs to be defective. You need to find probabilities for 4-0 bulbs defective and add them all up before subtracting from 1.

it should be then

200C0x(0.05^0)x(0.95^200)=0.000035053
200C1x(0.05^1)x(0.95^199)=0.000368975
200C2x(0.05^2)x(0.95^198)=0.001932266
200C3x(0.05^3)x(0.95^197)=0.006712082
200C4x(0.05^4)x(0.95^196)=0.017398424

add them up i get 0.0264468
1-0.0264468 = 0.9735532

correct?

Looks good to me :)

cool thanks man

mooch said:
2nd question is.
At a university, 90% of students pass math, 85% pass english, and 78% pass both. What are the odds in favor of a student passing math and failing english.

any1 know how to solve this question? What I've done so far is made a venn diagram consisting of math and english. I worked out that 12% (90-78) pass math, and 7%(85-78) pass english. Therefore 93% fail english.

.12 x .93 = 0.1116 ?

Last edited:
any1 know if my method is correct

mooch said:
any1 know how to solve this question? What I've done so far is made a venn diagram consisting of math and english. I worked out that 12% (90-78) pass math, and 7%(85-78) pass english. Therefore 93% fail english.

.12 x .93 = 0.1116 ?

hmm … assuming everybody takes both subjects (which the question doesn't say), out of 100 students, 90 pass maths and 78 of them also pass english - so 12 of them fail english.

So the probability is … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … assuming everybody takes both subjects (which the question doesn't say), out of 100 students, 90 pass maths and 78 of them also pass english - so 12 of them fail english.

So the probability is … ? :smile:

yes it does 78% take both...78 students and the 85 pass english

1. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's outcomes. The probability of one event occurring does not affect the probability of the other event occurring. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that are affected by the outcome of another event. The probability of the second event occurring depends on the outcome of the first event.

2. How do you calculate the probability of two independent events occurring?

To calculate the probability of two independent events occurring, you multiply the probabilities of each event. For example, if event A has a probability of 0.5 and event B has a probability of 0.4, the probability of both events occurring is 0.5 x 0.4 = 0.2.

3. Can the probability of an event occurring be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an event occurring can never be greater than 1. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event is impossible. Any number between 0 and 1 represents the likelihood of the event occurring.

4. What is the difference between mutually exclusive and non-mutually exclusive events?

Mutually exclusive events are events that cannot occur at the same time. If one event happens, the other event cannot happen. Non-mutually exclusive events can occur simultaneously. For example, rolling a 2 and rolling an odd number are mutually exclusive events, but rolling a 2 and rolling a prime number are non-mutually exclusive events.

5. How do you calculate the probability of two dependent events occurring?

To calculate the probability of two dependent events occurring, you multiply the probability of the first event by the probability of the second event given that the first event has occurred. The formula is P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B|A), where P(A) is the probability of event A and P(B|A) is the probability of event B given that event A has occurred.