Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two questions about cycles (algebra)

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1
    I have two questions:

1) For the example on the second page, I don't understand why they say [tex]\alpha\gamma\alpha^{-1} = (\alpha1 \alpha3)(\alpha2 \alpha4 \alpha7)(\alpha5)(\alpha6)[/tex] instead of [tex]\alpha\gamma\alpha^{-1} = (\alpha1\alpha^{-1} \alpha3\alpha^{-1})(\alpha2\alpha^{-1} \alpha4\alpha^{-1} \alpha7\alpha^{-1})(\alpha5\alpha^{-1})(\alpha6\alpha^{-1})[/tex].

2) For the tables at the top of the 2nd page, I don't know how they computed those numbers...

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

They say what is consistent with what the theorem says. The theorem says to "apply [itex] \alpha [/itex]" to the symbols in the cycles.

If [itex] \alpha,\ p,\ q [/itex] are cycles, It is true that [itex] \alpha (\ p \ q) \ \alpha^{-1} =( \alpha \ p \ \alpha^{-1})(\alpha \ q \ \alpha^{-1}) [/itex] but this is not the content of the theorem. A cycle is not the same as the product of the individual symbols in the cycle. The cycle (1,2,3) is not equal to (1)(2)(3).

For example, In the permutation group [itex] S_4 [/itex], there are 8 different elements of the group that are cycles of length 3. The example (1,2,3) in the table illustrates one of them.
    (There are 24 = (4)(3)(2) different permutations that can be formed by taking 3 distinct numbers from the set of numbers {1,2,3,4}. However, each permutation such as (1,2,3) is one of 3 representations of the same cycle. (1,2,3) = (2,3,1) = (3,1,2) So there are 8 = 24/3 distinct cycles of length 3 )

4. Dec 26, 2012 #3
    In a nutshell, notice that alpha gamma alpha inverse takes alpha of 1 to alpha of 3. ;)

5. Dec 26, 2012 #4
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook