1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two quick ones

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    Two quick ones :)

Hi, two questions:

1) How can I find the expectation value of the x-component of the angular momentum, [tex]\langle L_x \rangle[/tex], when I know [tex]\langle L^2 \rangle[/tex] and [tex]\langle L_z \rangle[/tex]?

2) Say, I have a state [tex]|\Psi \rangle[/tex] and two operators A and B represented as matrices. Now, [tex]|\Psi \rangle[/tex] is given as a linear combination of the eigenstates of A and I want to express them as a linear combination of the eigenstates of the operator B instead. How do I do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you can ! I think you can if you are in an EIGENSTATE of L^2 and Lz, but not if you only know the expectation values, because I think I can make up two different wave functions with same expectation for L^2 and Lz and different expectation for Lx...

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    Oh, they ARE eigenstates of both L^2 and Lz. Sorry. What do I do? :)

5. Apr 12, 2005 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you will always find 0, no ? Because of the cylindrical symmetry of these states ?

The reason is that you can write Jx as 1/2 (J_+ + J_-) and these, acting on a state |j,m> will give you |j,m+1> and |j,m-1>, so
    <j,m| Jx |j,m> = 0, no ?

cheers,
    patrick.

6. Apr 12, 2005 #5
    I don't quite get it. What does the |J>'s represent?

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I should have written L. J stands in general for an angular momentum, L for an orbital angular momentum and S for a spin angular momentum. One usually uses the notation J if it doesn't matter (as is the case here) whether it is orbital or spin angular momentum one talks about.

I would think you are aware of J+ and J- (or L+ and L-), the ladder operators of angular momentum ?

cheers,
    Patrick.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess you mean that you work in a certain basis, in which you get to know the components of A (matrix) and B (matrix).
    However, there is an ambiguity in the way you know psi: if you know its projections on the eigenvectors of A, you don't necessarily know its components in the basis in which A is given, because eigenvectors are only defined upto a complex multiplication factor ! So depending on how these eigenvectors were fixed your components will have an ambiguity (each of them individually) of a complex factor: just as well say that you don't know them (except if they happen to be 0).

Happily, you can hold the same reasoning for B :-) so I would say that a possible answer to the question will always be, that in a suitably scaled set of eigenvectors of B, psi will always take on the components {1,1,1,1,...1}
    :redface:

cheers,
    Patrick.

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8
    Sorry, I'm wasting your time. The situation in 1) is this:

An electron moving in a Coulomb-field from a proton, is in the following state (at time t=0)

[tex]|\phi,t=0> = \tfrac4{5}|100> + \tfrac{3i}5|211>[/tex]​

where [tex]|nlm>[/tex] is the usual energy eigenstates of the hydrogenatom. They are also eigenstates of angularmomentum:

[tex]L^2|nlm>=l(l+1)\hslash^2|nlm>[/tex]

[tex]L_z|nlm>=m\hslash|nlm>[/tex]

The questions are now:

a) Calculate the expectation value <E> in the state [tex]|\phi,t=0>[/tex].

b) Calculate the expectation values for L^2 and L_z in the state [tex]|\phi,t=0>[/tex].

c) Calculate the expectation value for L_x in the state [tex]|\phi,t=0>[/tex].

It's c) I'm having trouble with. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  10. Apr 12, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \langle \hat{L}_{x}\rangle_{|\psi\rangle} =:\langle\psi|\hat{L}_{x}|\psi\rangle [/tex]

Okay?

Now,use the fact that

[tex] \hat{L}_{x}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\hat{L}_{+}+\hat{L}_{-}\right) [/tex]

and the action of [itex] \hat{\mbox{L}}_{+} [/itex] and [itex]\hat{\mbox{L}}_{-} [/itex] on an arbitrary hydrogenoid wavefunction [itex] |n,l,m\rangle [/itex] (see textbook) and the orthonormalization of the states

[tex] \langle n,l,m|n',l',m'\rangle =\delta_{nn'}\delta_{ll'}\delta_{mm'}[/tex]

Daniel.

11. Apr 13, 2005 #10
    Yep, I with you now :) Thank you both.

12. Apr 14, 2005 #11
    I assume that eigenvectors of both A and B provide the complete basis. (?)
    well, about matrices

you have
    |c>=|A><A|c>

you need to find

|c>=|B><B|c>

where |A> and |B> - eigenvectors

then

<b|c>=<B|A><A|c>;

13. Apr 14, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't follow.What and who are those A,B,a,b,,blah,blah,blah...?

Daniel.

14. Apr 14, 2005 #13
    that is an old linear algebra in QM notation. I assume that eigenvectors of each matrix forms an ortogonal basis.

You have vector in the basis of the A matrix

[tex]\vec\psi=a_1 \vec{a_1}+a_2 \vec{a_2}+....[/tex] (1)

you need to find

[tex]\vec\psi=b_1 \vec{ b_1}+b_2 \vec{ b_2}+....[/tex] (2)

so multiply (1) by [tex]\vec{b_1}, \vec{b_2}...[/tex] and so on.

[tex]b_1 =a_1 (\vec {a_1}\vec{ b_1})+a_2 (\vec {a_1}\vec{ b_1})+...[/tex]

15. Apr 14, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay.What relevance does it have here?

Daniel.

16. Apr 14, 2005 #15
    well,

that was (1)

that was (2)

17. Apr 14, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are u hijacking the thread?This was the context

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?