Two slit diffraction and energy conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy conservation in diffraction from 2 slits. The participants first discuss the energy conservation in interference from 2 slits, where the intensity is distributed over the screen resulting in a pattern with maximum intensity of 4I and minimum intensity of 0. It is then explained that when diffraction is introduced, the intensity pattern is lower compared to pure interference, leading to a lower average intensity. The question of where the lost energy goes is raised, and it is explained that energy conservation is guaranteed by Parseval's theorem. The conversation ends with a participant trying to understand the concept intuitively, suggesting that a normalization constant may be needed to ensure energy conservation in the diffraction case.
LmdL
Hi all,
I have a small misunderstanding about the energy conservation in diffraction from 2 slits.
First, I understand the energy conservation of interference from 2 slits.
If intensity from each slit is I, then I have intensity of 2I after slits plane.
Interference is given by:
wJV5orO.png

So at bright fringes I get cos^2=1, so intensity is 4I. And in dark fringes I get cos^2=0, so intensity is 0.
Since interference just distributes the intensity over screen, the cos^2 pattern with 4I maximum and 0 minimum, on average, results in a 2I intensity, as just after the slits plane.
Now I add the diffraction, i.e. multiply by sinc^2. This leads to a lower intensity pattern compared to the case of pure interference, so averaged intensity will be lower then 2I. Where the energy is lost?

Science news on Phys.org
You are comparing averages between two different situations... no special reason the averages have to be the same.
Instead, compare the incoming energy with that leaving the slits.

LmdL said:
Where the energy is lost?
The fields in the slit plane and in the observation plane is connected through Fourier transform in the case of far-field diffraction, therefore you don't need to worry about energy conservation because it is guaranteed by Parseval's theorem
$$
\int |E(x)|^2 dx = \int |\tilde{E}(x')|^2 dx'
$$
where ##\tilde{E}(x') = FT[E(x)]##, ##x## is coordinate in the slit plane, and ##x'## the coordinate in the observation plane.

Still didn't get it. I understand that this must be true (energy is conserved) and even understand why it's true (intuitive) for the interference case. But when the diffraction is introduced, I cannot get it in intuitive way. The only explanation I can think of is that I don't multiply by sinc^2 in the diffraction case, but rather by Asinc^2, where A is some normalization constant which ensures energy conservation. So the overall picture will look like that:
citPEbL.png

And not like that:
C4I1ENP.png

1. What is the two slit diffraction phenomenon?

The two slit diffraction phenomenon is a phenomenon in which a wave, such as light or sound, passes through two narrow slits and interferes with itself, creating a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes.

2. How does the two slit diffraction demonstrate energy conservation?

The two slit diffraction pattern demonstrates energy conservation because the total energy of the wave is conserved throughout the diffraction process. This means that the energy of the wave is distributed among the different diffraction orders, and the sum of the energies in all orders equals the initial energy of the wave.

3. What is the relationship between the spacing of the slits and the diffraction pattern?

The spacing of the slits is directly related to the spacing of the diffraction pattern. The smaller the slit spacing, the wider the diffraction pattern will be. This is because smaller slit spacing allows for more diffraction orders to be present, resulting in a wider pattern.

4. How does the wavelength of the wave affect the two slit diffraction pattern?

The wavelength of the wave affects the two slit diffraction pattern by determining the spacing between the fringes. The smaller the wavelength, the closer the fringes will be, resulting in a wider and more defined pattern. Conversely, a longer wavelength will result in wider spacing between fringes and a less defined pattern.

5. In what other areas of science is the two slit diffraction phenomenon observed?

The two slit diffraction phenomenon is observed in various areas of science, such as optics, acoustics, and even in the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is also used in diffraction gratings, which are important tools in spectroscopy and other analytical techniques.