Two Spin 1/2 Particles: Stot=0 Outcome?

In summary, we have a hypothetical situation involving two spin 1/2 particles in a total spin state of Stot=0. The first observer measures the spin component (S1z) of the first particle, while the second observer measures the z component (S2z) of the second particle. The outcome of the measurement is dependent on whether or not the two particles are in a bound state and the conservation of angular momentum. The measurement of S1z can also influence the outcome of the second measurement. Overall, the final state after measurement is determined by the operators and eigenstates involved in the measurement process.
K8181
I have a hypothetical situation that I am trying to work through...

Say there are two spin 1/2 particles, and the system is known to be in a total spin state of Stot=0. An observer comes along and determines the first particle to have a spin component (S1z) of hbar/2. Now say another observer comes along and measures the z component for the second particle (S2z). What is the outcome?

My solution is this: I believe the Stot information is lost when the first observer measures S1z, so that then there is a 50% chance of the second observer measuring hbar/2, and a 50% chance for -hbar/2.

Is this right?

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the problem is, how do you distinguish between the two particles ?

I found the problem in a book, and it says that the first observer is trained to measure particle one, and the second is trained to measure particle two. I don't think distinguishing between them is the crux of the problem. I am more concerned about eigenstates of angular momentum and that sort of thing. The experiment is some fictitious scenario invented to illustrate a point.

If the total spin is zero, then there's only one spin-state the system can be in: the singlet [tex]|0 0\rangle[/tex] configuration. What are the possible outcomes when you measure [itex]S_{1_z}[/itex]?

K8181 said:
My solution is this: I believe the Stot information is lost when the first observer measures S1z, so that then there is a 50% chance of the second observer measuring hbar/2, and a 50% chance for -hbar/2.

Is this right?
No. The spin measurements of the two particles are correlated. Can you write the overall singlet state in terms of combinations of the individual S1z and S2z states? (I'm making the same point made by Galileo.)

I guess my confusion is...why is the particle still in the singlet state once the measurement of S1z has been carried out?

K8181 -- You are somewhat correct. The measurement of one of the particles can influence the other if they are in a bound state in which case the interaction between measurement and particle 1 also can perturb particle 2. For example, consider a helium atom with the electrons in a total spin 0, S-state. If we use a spin 0 probe, then the matrix elements for any spin flip will be zero. On the other hand, if we use a spin 1 probe, spin flip is possible, and the initial spin correlation will not survive the interaction. (I'm assuming the the probe comes in as an S wave, so the total probe angular momentum is = probe spin.)

If, as in EPR, the two electrons travel well away from their source, then their correlation will be unchanged by measurement.

So, it all depends on whether angular momentum is conserved by the measurement, and/or whether the two are sufficiently distant to preclude radiation, or whatever, from measurement 1 going to measurement 2 prior to the second measurement.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Local measurement of singlet state

K8181 said:
I guess my confusion is...why is the particle still in the singlet state once the measurement of S1z has been carried out?

The answer is clearly given by quantum mechanics for this measurement :

Operators :

-measurement operator in A is S1z
-measurement operator in B is 1 (identity operator, since you don't measure in B)

Final state=Eigenstates

-final state in A is |+> or |->
-final state in B is [tex]|\phi>= \left(\begin{array}{c} cos(\phi)\\ sin(\phi)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Hence the final state after a measurement of S1 without measuring in B is either [tex]|+>|\phi>[/tex] or [tex] |->|\phi>[/tex] with some (by quantum mechanics) given probablitities...

However if you measure S1z and S2z, then the final state is |+-> or |-+>...so measuring or not S2z influence the result, a usual fact in quantum mechanics

I don't know if this is clear...?

Related to Two Spin 1/2 Particles: Stot=0 Outcome?

1. What is the meaning of "Stot=0" in the context of Two Spin 1/2 Particles?

"Stot=0" refers to the total spin of the system of two spin 1/2 particles. In quantum mechanics, spin is a property of particles that can take on different values. When two particles are combined, their spins can add up to a total spin value. In this case, "Stot=0" means that the total spin of the system is zero, indicating that the two particles have opposite spins canceling each other out.

2. How is the outcome of "Stot=0" determined?

The outcome of "Stot=0" is determined by the combination of the individual spins of the two particles. In the case of two spin 1/2 particles, there are four possible outcomes: "Stot=1", "Stot=0", "Stot=-1", and "Stot=0". These outcomes are determined by applying the rules of quantum mechanics, which dictate how the individual spins interact with each other.

3. What is the significance of "Stot=0" in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, "Stot=0" is significant because it represents a state of maximum entanglement between the two particles. This means that the two particles are in a highly correlated state, where the state of one particle cannot be described without also describing the state of the other particle. This has important implications for phenomena such as quantum teleportation and quantum computing.

4. Can "Stot=0" be observed in experiments?

Yes, "Stot=0" can be observed in experiments. In fact, it has been observed in experiments involving entangled particles, such as the famous "EPR paradox" experiment. In this experiment, two entangled particles were separated by a large distance, and measurements on one particle were found to instantly affect the state of the other particle, indicating the presence of "Stot=0".

5. Are there any practical applications of "Stot=0"?

Yes, there are practical applications of "Stot=0" in fields such as quantum information processing and quantum cryptography. The entanglement between particles with "Stot=0" can be harnessed for tasks such as secure communication and super-fast computing. Researchers are also exploring the potential of "Stot=0" for quantum sensors, which could have applications in fields such as medical imaging and navigation.