Solving Preloaded Springs w/ Mass: Can Force Overcome Preload?

• Thread starter Buns_of_Steel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of preloaded springs in parallel and their effective stiffness. It is mentioned that if the springs are preloaded, the preload is effectively canceled when the springs oppose each other. The question is raised whether a force needs to overcome the spring preload for the mass to move. The answer is given that the mass will move immediately upon the application of a force, as shown in a drawing of the forces at play. The initial state is also mentioned, questioning if it is at equilibrium.
Buns_of_Steel
Quick question that's causing a lot of headaches at the moment.

Ive got two horizontal springs with a mass in the middle.
The springs are preloaded.
I get that the springs are in parallel and the effective stiffness is the sum of the stiffnessess.

If the springs are preloaded, is the preload effectively canceled because the springs are opposing each other? I.e. if i apply a force to the mass, does it move or does the force need to overcome the spring preload?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Buns_of_Steel said:
If the springs are preloaded, is the preload effectively canceled because the springs are opposing each other? I.e. if i apply a force to the mass, does it move or does the force need to overcome the spring preload?
Yes, the preloads cancel. The mass will move immediately you apply a force.

Make a drawing, indicate all the forces. Is the initial state at equilibrium ?

1. What is preload in a spring system?

Preload in a spring system refers to the initial tension or compression applied to the spring before any external force is applied. It is the force that keeps the spring in its original position and allows it to absorb or release energy when a load is applied.

2. How does preload affect the behavior of a spring with added mass?

When a spring with preload is loaded with additional mass, the initial tension or compression must be overcome before the spring can begin to compress or stretch. This means that a greater force is needed to achieve the same amount of displacement compared to a spring without preload. Preload can also affect the natural frequency and stiffness of the spring.

3. Is it possible for force to overcome preload in a spring system?

Yes, it is possible for force to overcome preload in a spring system. When an external force is applied to the spring, it will overcome the initial tension or compression and cause the spring to compress or stretch. The amount of force needed to overcome preload depends on the magnitude of the preload and the stiffness of the spring.

4. Can preload be adjusted in a spring system?

Yes, preload can be adjusted in a spring system by changing the initial tension or compression on the spring. This can be done by adjusting the length of the spring or by using preloading devices such as washers or spacers. Adjusting the preload can affect the behavior of the spring and its ability to handle external forces.

5. How can I calculate the force needed to overcome preload in a spring system?

The force needed to overcome preload in a spring system can be calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of displacement. By knowing the preload force and the spring constant, the force needed to overcome preload can be calculated using the formula F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.