Evolution of Matter from Quantum World: Macroscopic Scale vs Localized Particles

• Thread starter nouveau_riche
  • Start date
In summary: it does give it a definite spin,measurement actually collapses with the wavefunction of that particle to do so.
nouveau_riche
how does the matter as it appear on macroscopic scale evolve from quantum world and take form/structure/properties if the particle making it is localized bcoz there is an observer

what i mean is that at large scale we don't penetrate through the matter observing those particles then what is giving matter it's state of being?

Physics news on Phys.org
no answer yet.
is there something wrong with question or the answer needs metaphysics?

nouveau_riche said:
how does the matter as it appear on macroscopic scale evolve from quantum world and take form/structure/properties if the particle making it is localized bcoz there is an observer

what i mean is that at large scale we don't penetrate through the matter observing those particles then what is giving matter it's state of being?

I think observers don't have to be humans. Even molecules can be observers. So in a piece of wood. Each molecule can be an observer of the neighbor hence collapsing it.

Also due to Decoherence (just google this). If you can somehow shield an objective against Decoherence. If Bohr were right and there was no Many Worlds, then the object would just shapeshift or vanish. If you can theoreticfally shield a big object like some battleship from Philadelphia shipyard from Decoherence by maybe some kind of special magnetic field that can erase the coherence data (an entangler decoupler), then you can make the battleshield invisible making successful this hmm... Philadelphia Experiment.

Varon said:
I think observers don't have to be humans. Even molecules can be observers. So in a piece of wood. Each molecule can be an observer of the neighbor hence collapsing it.

Also due to Decoherence (just google this). If you can somehow shield an objective against Decoherence. If Bohr were right and there was no Many Worlds, then the object would just shapeshift or vanish. If you can theoreticfally shield a big object like some battleship from Philadelphia shipyard from Decoherence by maybe some kind of special magnetic field that can erase the coherence data (an entangler decoupler), then you can make the battleshield invisible making successful this hmm... Philadelphia Experiment.

...what?! Is this about the 'Philadelphia Experiment"? That was a decent movie

nouveau_riche said:

I'm afraid your English is very broken, which is probably why this thread went so long without being answered. Perhaps you could try to describe your question in a different way (or try and run things through a native speaker).

maverick_starstrider said:
...what?! Is this about the 'Philadelphia Experiment"? That was a decent movie

It's just a joke :) Well. But if you can disengage a macroscopic object against decoherence and Bohr was right. Isn't it you can make it theoretically appear and disappear like quantum particles?

in simple words...

what is observation in context to quantum?
is it different from measurement?

nouveau_riche said:
in simple words...

what is observation in context to quantum?
is it different from measurement?

No. an observation and a measurement are generally the same thing. However, an OBSERVABLE is something different, and that relates to the math of Quantum Mechanics. I would also point out that there are many interpretations of Quantum Mechanics that do not have "measurement paradoxes" and don't give any special power to observers.

No. an observation and a measurement are generally the same thing. However, an OBSERVABLE is something different, and that relates to the math of Quantum Mechanics. I would also point out that there are many interpretations of Quantum Mechanics that do not have "measurement paradoxes" and don't give any special power to observers.

then why does act of measurement gives particle a definite axis of spin(knowing the fact that particle has probability to spin around certain axis governed by probability function of spin)?

nouveau_riche said:
then why does act of measurement gives particle a definite axis of spin(knowing the fact that particle has probability to spin around certain axis governed by probability function of spin)?

Does it? Or does a measurement merely change the information WE have about the spin of the particle? As I said, there are interpretations that do away with the measurement paradox entirely (my favorite being Aharanov's time-symmetric interpretation).

Does it? Or does a measurement merely change the information WE have about the spin of the particle? As I said, there are interpretations that do away with the measurement paradox entirely (my favorite being Aharanov's time-symmetric interpretation).

it do give it a definite spin,measurement actually collapses with the wavefunction of that particle to do so

nouveau_riche said:
it do give it a definite spin,measurement actually collapses with the wavefunction of that particle to do so

As I said, wavefunction collapse is an artifact of CERTAIN interpretations, like the Copenhagen interpretation. Other interpretations, like Time-Symmetric, don't have this effect. They don't have a measurement paradox.

1. What is the significance of the evolution of matter from the quantum world to the macroscopic scale?

The evolution of matter from the quantum world to the macroscopic scale is significant because it helps us understand how the tiny particles in the quantum world come together to form the larger structures and objects that we can observe in our everyday lives. It also sheds light on the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter at both scales.

2. How does the behavior of matter differ at the quantum level compared to the macroscopic scale?

At the quantum level, matter behaves in a probabilistic manner, with particles exhibiting both wave-like and particle-like properties. However, at the macroscopic scale, matter behaves in a more deterministic manner and can be described by classical physics laws.

3. What role do localized particles play in the evolution of matter from the quantum world to the macroscopic scale?

Localized particles, such as atoms and molecules, play a crucial role in the evolution of matter from the quantum world to the macroscopic scale. They interact and combine to form larger structures and objects, giving rise to the diverse physical world around us.

4. How does the concept of superposition play a role in the evolution of matter?

The concept of superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. It plays a critical role in the evolution of matter by allowing for the possibility of multiple outcomes when particles interact and combine at the macroscopic scale.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the evolution of matter from the quantum world to the macroscopic scale?

Understanding the evolution of matter has led to numerous practical applications in fields such as technology, medicine, and materials science. For example, quantum computing and nanotechnology are based on the principles of quantum mechanics and allow us to manipulate matter at the atomic and molecular level for various purposes. Additionally, understanding the behavior of matter has also led to advancements in drug development, renewable energy, and more efficient materials for everyday use.