Typical engineer's life problems

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the engineer thinks that the first jet with more static pressure would be a better choice because it would be easier to move the stone with that type of jet.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let's discuss the next problem:

An unfortunated engineer has one heavy stone that has to be moved a small distance. Thus, he thinks of pushing it away by means of a water jet, pointing it towards stone centre of mass. But he has to types of jet available:

-One has 50 bar of static pressure and 5 m/s of water velocity.
-The other has 10 bar of static pressure and 89.5 m/s of water velocity.

One jet has to be choosen in order to provide the neccesary force to push the stone a short distance, as engineer's boss is claiming all day it has to be done.

What type of jet would you choose?.

Science news on Phys.org
I would personaly choose the first jet. Becouse the stone is heavy and it would probably be easyer to move with a jet that has more static pressure.

First one, more static pressure.

The first one has a very small advantage when you figure out the total pressure by my calculations. I think the point of the exercise is to use Bernouli's law, though.

pervect said:
The first one has a very small advantage when you figure out the total pressure by my calculations. I think the point of the exercise is to use Bernouli's law, though.

My opinion is similar to yours. It is certain that if you compute total presure is aprox. the same in both cases. I have not the universal answer, but in my opinion, if you pay attention to the leading stagnation point that is formed in the interface stone-water, it seems pressure total is what exerts the pushing force. Those who had said static pressure has not written the momentum equation in the jet direction.

Any opinion counteracting what I have just said is welcomed, but it is logical to think velocity provides the exchange of momentum to the stone, although static pressure acts like a "total pressure" reservoir ready to be released when the water stagnates eventually at the zone of frontal contact. So that both of the jets would be valid, isn't it?.

FAQ: Typical engineer's life problems

1. What are some common challenges faced by engineers in their daily lives?

Some common challenges faced by engineers include managing heavy workloads, dealing with tight deadlines, and constantly learning new skills and technologies.

2. How do engineers balance their personal and professional lives?

Engineers often have to work long hours and may have to bring work home with them, making it challenging to maintain a work-life balance. However, setting boundaries, prioritizing tasks, and practicing time management can help them achieve a healthy balance.

3. How do engineers handle stress and pressure in their jobs?

Engineers are trained to work well under pressure, but they still experience stress and pressure in their jobs. To cope with these challenges, many engineers practice self-care, such as exercise and meditation, and seek support from colleagues and mentors.

4. What are some common mistakes made by engineers in their careers?

Some common mistakes made by engineers include not communicating effectively with colleagues and clients, not asking for help when needed, and not being open to feedback and continuous learning.

5. What are the key skills for a successful engineer?

Some key skills for a successful engineer include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and effective communication. Additionally, being adaptable, having a strong work ethic, and being able to work well in a team are also essential for success in the engineering field.

Back