Typical surface roughness heights for aircraft surfaces

In summary, the surface roughness height of an airplane is required as an input for the drag model in aerodynamic investigations. The typical values for modern aircraft surfaces vary due to factors such as build and flight, and can be found through a Google search on "aircraft surface roughness height." This can affect boundary-layer transition and accumulate dirt and grime over time, causing the as-flown surface roughness to differ from the as-built surface roughness.
JaWolf
Hello!
I am investigating some preliminary aerodynamics on a regional turboprop and for the drag model the surface roughness height of the airplane is required as an input. For this i do not have any data. In which range are the typical values for modern aircraft surfaces?
Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
JaWolf said:
Hello!
I am investigating some preliminary aerodynamics on a regional turboprop and for the drag model the surface roughness height of the airplane is required as an input. For this i do not have any data. In which range are the typical values for modern aircraft surfaces?
Thanks a lot!

Typical surface roughness: "As built"

I am curious what kind of model takes this into account, as its primary effect is on boundary-layer transition, but the relationship between the two is extremely complicated. Also, as a typical airplane flies around, it accumulates dirt and grime from weather and bug strikes, so the as-flown surface roughness changes over time and is going to be different from the as-built surface roughness.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
in Search bar type in surface texture
posted by Ranger Mike
i have written much on this subject
merry Christmas

Likes berkeman

1. What is considered a typical surface roughness height for aircraft surfaces?

The typical surface roughness height for aircraft surfaces is between 0.2 to 0.6 micrometers. This range is considered optimal for reducing drag and improving aerodynamic performance.

2. How is surface roughness height measured on aircraft surfaces?

Surface roughness height on aircraft surfaces is typically measured using a profilometer or a surface roughness gauge. These instruments use a stylus or a laser to scan the surface and measure the deviations from the ideal surface.

3. What factors can affect the surface roughness height of aircraft surfaces?

The surface roughness height of aircraft surfaces can be affected by factors such as manufacturing processes, environmental conditions, and maintenance procedures. Corrosion, erosion, and wear can also contribute to changes in surface roughness over time.

4. How does surface roughness affect the performance of aircraft?

Surface roughness can significantly impact the aerodynamic performance of aircraft. Higher surface roughness can increase drag, reduce fuel efficiency, and affect the stability and control of the aircraft. It can also lead to increased maintenance costs and decreased lifespan of the aircraft.

5. What are some methods for reducing surface roughness on aircraft surfaces?

There are several methods for reducing surface roughness on aircraft surfaces, including precision machining, surface treatments, and coatings. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to minimize surface roughness. Additionally, advancements in manufacturing processes and materials can also contribute to reducing surface roughness on newer aircraft models.