U.S. Schools on the East Coast

• Schools
  • Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person planning a trip to visit schools on the East Coast of the US for graduate school, specifically in the field of math. The mentioned schools so far are MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Penn State, Yale, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, and Brown. Recommendations for other schools in the same area are requested, and some suggestions are made including Rutgers, U. Penn, Brandeis, Tufts, Northeastern, BostonU, and Stony Brook. The person's goal is to get into CMU/UPITTS and they plan to narrow down their list to 5 schools, with MIT and Princeton being definite choices. The conversation also touches on the locations and reputations of some
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hey everyone,

I'm planning a trip to visit a few schools on the East Coast of the US. So far, I have...

MIT
Harvard
Princeton

I'm just visiting some good schools for graduate school. So, any recommendations that are roughly in the same area would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

I don't know many American schools or there locations. :frown:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Penn State :P
Cheap and well known :)

Yale
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Brownedit... I am under the assumption that you are looking at grad school for Math.

Last edited:
Near Princeton,
Rutgers is about 20 mi away, and U. Penn (in Philadelphia) is 50 mi away.

Near Harvard/MIT,
Brandeis, Tufts, Northeastern, BostonU, etc..

Near NYU and Columbia,
Stony Brook is about 60 mi away. Cornell and Penn State are bit inland (about 200mi) from the NYC "coast".

it would help if you post what you were going for...my goal is to get into CMU/UPITTS.

is boston U/College any good?

Thanks guys.

I'll have to narrow down the list to 5 school probably. MIT and Princeton are for sure on the list though.

And, yes this is for math.

1. What are the top schools on the East Coast?

Some of the top schools on the East Coast include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Yale University, Columbia University, and Princeton University.

2. How do East Coast schools compare to West Coast schools?

There are excellent schools on both the East and West Coasts, but East Coast schools tend to have a longer history and more established reputations. The East Coast is also home to some of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the country.

3. What is the average class size in East Coast schools?

The average class size in East Coast schools varies depending on the school and the specific program or course. However, many top schools on the East Coast have smaller class sizes, with an average of 20-25 students per class.

4. What are some notable programs or majors offered at East Coast schools?

East Coast schools offer a wide range of programs and majors, but some notable ones include business, law, medicine, engineering, and liberal arts. Many top schools also have renowned programs in specific fields, such as Harvard's business program and MIT's engineering program.

5. What is the overall academic reputation of East Coast schools?

East Coast schools have a strong academic reputation, with many of them consistently ranking among the top universities in the world. These schools often have rigorous academic standards, renowned faculty, and a long history of producing successful and influential alumni.